Gold hunting prospecting tips.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tips and little stories for anyone that wants to learn a bit more about chasing the gold. Whether you're a rookie or a Sourdough (a Pro), you might find something to read. My main thread, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html on the metal detecting for gold page has been up for many years, and it has some tips too along with many, many stories of me out chasing the gold, but it takes a long time to wade through all of the almost 80 pages now.

So, I thought I'd start a thread over here dedicated to more of the tips and techniques on how to find gold, and I may transfer some tips from my older thread over to here as well.

Essential gold fact.
(This fact is one that's often ignored, if not undervalued or forgotten in the rush to find the gold.)

Gold fact: Gold is heavy.

Rookie prospector fact: Most rookies forget this.

Prospecting reality: many "seasoned" prospectors forget this.

Prospecting mantra: never forget that gold is heavy.

(Yes, lead is heavy too, but gold is nearly twice as heavy as lead (19320 kg/cu.m VS 11340 kg/cu.m).

For example, if you want to look for gold in a stream, don't start digging in a sandbar. Don't start digging in clay or mud. While it's true that gold will stick to clay, usually if you dig a bunch of clay, you'll get a lot of clay in your pan. . . .

Look at the stream and see where the bigger stuff is collecting.

If you're in an area where there's flour gold (glaciated gold that's been hammered and ground to a powder consistency), look for gravel bars where the rocks are fist-sized and larger. Why? Specific gravity rules specify that if the stream was traveling with enough velocity to carry rocks fist-sized and larger, flour gold was also traveling with them (if there's gold in the stream). Remember? Gold is heavy, so it takes force from water velocity to move it during a flood or during high water. (This also applies to bench deposits and old channels.)

If you're in an area where there's flake and picker gold (or maybe even nuggets), look for a place in the stream where rocks the size of couch cushions or big round watermelons or trashcans were moving during high water. Then, get a vantage point where you can look downstream to see if there's any pattern to their disposition. (I'm referring where the stream is fairly shallow to bedrock or hardpan as the bigger rocks won't disappear as they sink themselves with the stratifying action of the stream. Big, wide, slow moving streams that are deep to bedrock sometimes won't follow the same rules.) Look downstream and if you can see the big rocks lined out (running in a consecutive line downstream from each other) in a linear pattern, each following the others downstream, I'd get in those rocks and start digging. Why? Gold is heavy. Just think about the energy involved in the stream velocity that moved those rocks: pickers and flakes and maybe nuggets were running with that big stuff. Dig, dig, dig. Test, test, test.

Flashback time: When I was working with a large placer operation and they'd hit large boulders (the size of your couch at least, not the cushions), and we were working ground where nuggets were common, everyone would get excited about the possibilities. (I say possibilities because sometimes Mother Nature plays tricks and only drops the big boulders because she shifted the gold run off somewhere else.) So, when those big boulders were moved out of the way, everyone would get down in the pit after the machines were shut down for the day to start panning. (I'd often be panning the material as we went down as well to keep the feedback going to the excavator operator to let him know what size of gold, or how much gold was showing in the pan at the various levels, or in the varying layers of materials as they changed from level to level.)

On one unforgettable day, the gold run was so heavy after the big rocks were moved that we walked along the face of the wall where it met the bedrock (from about two feet above and down to the bedrock that is), and we were able to see the nuggets packed in the gravel and then flick them out of the wall into a pan!

Now I know that some of you are going to think that I was smoking cheap crack, and that there's no way anything like that could ever be possible, but I was there and it happened anyway. Moreover, once you've seen pay with that much gold in it, and once you've experienced a sight like that, you can never forget it either. There was so much gold in the pay layer that because the boss was gone to town for supplies, the sluice crew messed up and fed the sluice at the wrong rate (they fed it as if they were running normal material). The boss arrived back in camp just as the run ended and the crew was just shutting down the wash-plant. To his horror when the water stopped flowing, there were nuggets all the way from the header boxes right to the end of the last riffle in both sluices, and this was a big wash-plant!

So, as you undoubtedly remember (by now in this post) that gold is heavy, what do you think was happening while the nuggets were being deposited all the way to the last riffle in the sluices?

That's right, the nuggets were going over the end of the sluice and heading down into the settling ponds too. What a fiasco! I'll not bore you with the colorful adjectives the boss launched at the sluice crew.

But, what an unimaginable sight regardless. Nuggets from the header boxes all the way to the last riffle!! I had my video camera with me and wanted so badly to shoot video of the sluices; moreover, I had my regular camera with me and wanted to shoot some stills as well, but the investor wouldn't let me do it. He was quite an uptight fellow, to say the least.

Some other miners were working their way down the mountain along our road on their way to cross the river with their equipment, so they could get started on running dirt at their claim. They stopped by to see how things were going. Their jaws hit the ground, hard. They'd never seen the like, and I certainly never have since. Pounds and pounds of beautiful nuggets, with pounds and pounds of galena in all different sizes left to be separated from the gold. (What a pain that was as you can't remove galena with magnets, so it's hard to speed up the cleanup process.)

So, when you're looking for gold, think heavy. Try to think heavy thoughts because gold certainly thinks that way. Moreover, if you're working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock, always, always check the bedrock very carefully. Why? As gold is heavy, and as the stream materials are constantly agitated by the water, the gold will continue to drop through the liquified, moving materials of the stream to eventually come to rest. Why does it stop? It hits something that won't move or give way, and in the case of bedrock, it meets all of the immovable object criteria.

While dredging, I've had to pry enough nuggets from cracks and crevices to know how well fractured or rough bedrock works when it comes to stopping gold.

(Note: I shot this picture with an underwater camera (the glacial melt water is crystal clear and bone-chilling cold). It's a nugget that's sitting on the bedrock, and the water is moving along at a really good clip. I'd just finished moving and then carefully sucking all of the surrounding material away from the nugget on the bedrock with the dredge nozzle kept far enough away to only move the lighter material. The natural velocity of the water was not a factor when it came to the specific gravity of that chunk of gold: that nugget would not move after it was uncovered! It sat right there. If you look around, you'll see other gold resting in the stream run as well.)

Fun fact: while dredging, I've disturbed gold on the bedrock, but because gold is so heavy, the velocity of the stream drags (and I do mean drags) it along the bedrock until it reaches a crevice, and the gold disappears right quick I can tell you! If it's a good sized nugget, once you uncover it, that sassy chunk of gold will sit there in the water right tight on the bedrock waiting for you to make a move. That's how well gold can resist the velocity of the water. That's why some writers say that gold is "lazy". It's so sluggish because due to its specific gravity that it takes the shortest route between two points. So, if you're in an area with coarse gold, always remember this weighty fact as you're plotting where to test your stream materials. In your head, draw some imaginary lines (straight lines) from point A to point B.

Go to bed tonight reviewing the fact that gold is heavy: almost twenty times as heavy as the water that's transporting it, and almost ten times heavier than the other materials the stream's water is moving along with the gold. Knowing this may just have you rethinking things the next time you're out working a stream where it's shallow to bedrock (or other stream deposits as well).

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

By the way, it's far too cold here right now to chase the gold. So, since I'm snowbound, I'll kick out a few posts from time to time, and at other times I may get a chance to post a few more as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well,

You've obviously got some heavy iron staining there. Iron and gold are good friends. Heavy elements are present.

Did you pan your cons with water? It kind of hard to tell what size the hematite and magnetite are on the end of the magnet as there's nothing to compare the size of the magnet to.

If there's no gold present, move farther up the canyon and try different areas until you find some color. If you get a good concentration of color that suddenly stops as you move up the gulch, move back to where the color is the best and check out the sides of the wash/hill.

All the best,

Lanny

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went about a half mile up stream, and found the same. No color.
Here is a pic of the size of material.
CAM00188.jpg
Pencil, and magnet.
CAM00183.jpg Boulders in creek.
CAM00182.jpg CAM00178.jpg What wash looks like 1/2 mile up from last spot.

CAM00180.jpg Most of the wash bottom is cemented gravels, and caliche like at left.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, you've got the three rules of prospecting that will never change: 1. Test 2. Test 3. Test

So, it looks like your wash definitely has water tumbled rocks in it, so if there's any fine gold, you should find it among those cobbles, and it shouldn't be too far down.

How deep is it to bedrock or the caliche bottom?

Thanks for the size comparison of the hematite and magnetite.

From your earlier description of the lode gold concentrations in this particular area, you may want to investigate another area if you're hoping to find some nice flake gold or nuggets. Or, are you just out on an investigation journey to see if you can find some gold like the early prospectors did in this spot?

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospecting high water gold.

It's important to remember that when you're chasing the gold outside of the river channel proper, that the rules of gold deposition apply to the high water conditions as well.

This last summer, I was prospecting with a buddy that wasn't having much luck. I pointed out to him how the gold was deposited in the stream channel and he had a lot of fun panning nice flake gold. Then I took him up to higher ground and had him look at what the water had left behind during its flood stage. (On a side note, some of that material had been there for many, many years as it was covered with leaf litter and moss.)

As he was now familiar with the basic rules of gold deposition because I'd shown him where to dig earlier in the week, he already knew what things to look for where the water had been running high.

It didn't take him long to recognize the same patterns of deposition when the flood had been roaring. Once again, all he had to do was to apply the rules of specific gravity to his search. He soon spotted a run of large rocks trending downstream high up on the bank. When he dug a test pit in that line of large rocks, you guessed it, the gold was there, and there were some nice large flakes to boot.

When the river is running in flood stage, the gut of the stream (the middle part of the main channel) is really ripping along at a high velocity, and there's not much chance for the gold to drop. But, when the edges of the stream encounter obstacles, or they're faced with an area of considerable widening, not only do the bigger rocks drop, but the gold drops as well.

Think about his for a moment: if the gut of the stream is moving car-sized boulders during the flood stage, the gold is going to be hurtling along as well. But, if the edges of the stream encounter a bedrock hump, or a house-sized boulder, a suction eddy will be created (an area of low pressure where the water cuts back on itself in a swirling motion), and often a chain of larger rocks will drop out as well due to that sudden drop in water pressure.

Always investigate spots where logs get jammed crossways between large trees. There will be a lot of natural trash jammed in there, and because it makes the water slow down, do some testing to see if any of the gold took a break from the wild ride as well.

I've been amazed sometimes while prospecting canyons at the coarse gold I'll find stranded in the cracks and crevices in bedrock walls as well.

I once had an old prospector tell me that many of his nuggets came from the bedrock lips of gorges and canyons. (Just be dang careful working in places like that as one mistake will be the last mistake you'll ever make!!) And you know, finding gold on those lips makes sense. When prehistoric floods were washing down the sides of the canyons over the edge of those gorges, that lip of fractured bedrock worked as an excellent gold trap. These days, our modern super-floods will still move gold over the lips of those bedrock traps, but they just happen far less often.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are a couple more pics with descriptions, and a screen shot from GE on my pc.
The red lines are the path of the underground mine. Where it exits at the creek, is a fenced hole, or entrance.
The round circle is another entrance. The dark,object, in the lower left, right next to the creek that is a rectangle, brown, is an ore shoot. There is a pic of it close up.
az mine.jpg CAM00185.jpg
CAM00190.jpg This is the bedrock showing,or caliche, cemented gravels showing about 1/2 mile downstream. This also past the spot with the ore shoots.
The boulder is 2-3 times bigger than my toyota truck.
CAM00189.jpg In this photo, you can see the large rock on the right side, middle. Then you can see like a ledge, or wall in front of it on left. Right in front of this boulder, which again,2-3 times bigger than my truck, has a 12-16 foot deep hole, that is at least 8 feet around. The kids in town go swimming in it during our monsoon season, ect.
I still want to make some sort of a drag line with a bucket, and drag it to see how many coins, jewelry I can pick up.
You can also see how far the exposed beadrock goes up the creek.
It is bare here because the water is moving fast, and with a lot of force.

Finally, my wife and I hike the road, that is between the highway 60, and the wash. It is an old road that leads up to the old tunnel through the mountain.
So, I am basiclly just killing time, looking to see if there is any color at all,walking with my wife,(she takes no meds for her border line diabetes) she controls it through diet and exercise.
I will post another pic of the last spot I want to check, where it is on the other side of the ore shoot. It is that canyon just barely in the pic, lower right corner. There is old tailings, and air shaft,ect. Maybe find an ore shoot or something, maybe nothing.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's great that you're taking your wife with you! That makes the outings just that much more interesting.

I hope you do get a chance to find some color after all of the work and effort you've put forth. Keep me posted on what you find.

That swimming hole sounds like a good place to check for lost items for sure.

I was in Idaho this past summer and there were a couple of guys that had a dredge below a spot where lots of people ran the river in inner tubes, etc. They were getting out lots of lost items. I met another guy that had recovered hundreds of pairs of sunglasses over the years, plus coins, and rings, etc. So, I'd follow up on that hole for sure to see what's at the bottom.

Thanks for the pictures and for inviting me along on your adventure.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I moved this information to this thread to try to keep things in one place. This is a bit of info. on sniping bedrock:

If you're on a good gold bearing stream known for flakes and pickers, working bedrock is one of the best ways to move very little dirt and have a good shot at some nice gold.

There's always one place someone hasn't looked, seriously. Keep looking and you'll find a spot someone's missed and eventually you'll find your pickers. You may have to have to work up the bank a little higher, or you may have to visit the river when the water has dropped to a very low level.

Up here, low water usually means in the fall, when it's cold (or in the early spring, and I mean early), and most people have gotten out of Dodge because it's right chilly working in the river in the fall, or it's still too chilly in the spring, but that's when the bedrock that's usually inaccessible all year long is finally exposed! And, not much of a surprise about it because it usually means better recovery of nice flakes and pickers.

If you want to work crevices in the river proper, get a suction gun.

Watch the color of the dirt coming out of the crevice. If a crevice has had material sitting in it for a very long time, the super-heavies (magnetite, hematite, pyrite, etc.) will have oxidized and there will be a lot of iron stain in the dirt. If you start to find dirt like that, be absolutely certain you get to the bottom of the crevice. (The heavies in your area may be different, just learn what to look for, colors, etc., by finding out from the locals what they are.) If the crevice has tiny river stones and grit and it's oxidized heavily, you may even hit a nugget!

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I posted this in response to a forum user (Ywevis) asking a question about what the white mineral was on a piece of fractured bedrock. This response may help some of you understand the bigger picture of quartz or quartz-like material that fills the cracks in bedrock of various types that you come across when you're out prospecting. This process occurs when hot mineral solutions (containing metallic or non-metallic minerals) are forced under tremendous pressure from deep in the earth up along fracture zones, or cracks and breaks, in the mother rock.

"It appears that the quartz and whatever else was in solution was forced up along some fracture zones (maybe in multiple events), then it solidified and left the white solid fillings in the cracks.

The cool thing about this process is how metallic minerals are often forced up in solution with the nonmetallic minerals. I've seen some beautiful gold, copper, pyrite, galena, etc. cubed or crystallized out in this way in similar 'crack fills'.

This is a great question on your part [what was the white stuff on the rock?] as that's the way to learn. The only dumb question when you don't know what you're looking at [while you're out prospecting] is the one you never ask.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you've ever hunted placer gold on a river where they hydraulic-mined the hills, you need to watch for a few things.

First, as the hills were hydraulic-mined, a lot of tailings were washed into the river, and over the years, those hydraulic tailings have been concentrated back down by the stream's actions. So, directly below a sluice run where they dumped their tailings, there should be a hot spot in the river. (Or, if you find a big line of stacked rocks where they had a large sluice operation of any kind in the 1800's, there should be a hot spot downriver of where the operation was set up.)

Moreover, as you look at the bank material, if you see a heavy run of pyrite, there should be a run of gold directly below it in the bank. That run of pyrite (and possible small chunks of magnetite) should form a thin band of re-concentrated heavies that you can see. It's a visual clue.

The hydraulic tailings that went into rivers was often many, many feet thick. The stream has been busy ever since the 1800's re-concentrating those tailings. As most people know, hydraulic mining was notoriously inefficient, and they blew out a lot of fine gold and flake gold. They were after the nuggets and didn't really care about losing fine gold.

So, if you can find a hot zone downstream from where they hydraulic-mined, you can often get yourself a nice catch of gold.

If it's shallow to bedrock, that visible band of heavies will often be right on the bedrock, or there may even be a couple of layers interspersed as the river re-concentrated things over the years during high water and floods.

If you find a re-concentration on the bedrock proper, you may be in for some fun.

However, you also need to steel yourself for the possibility that you may only find pyrite, or almost pyrite and little or no gold. That happens as well, but sooner or later if you're working on a river that had hydraulic tailings sluiced into it, you'll find yourself some gold as you pay attention to the colors of the pay layers.

On a related note, if you're panning or sluicing, and you start to get a big collection of cubes of oxidized pyrite, pay attention! You've got a great chance that you're very close to a pay layer or pay zone. As pyrite is heavy (not nearly as heavy as gold, but heavy nonetheless), the gold will drop very close to where it dropped. So, check to the right, to the left, and if you're not on bedrock, check below it.

I had a profoundly strange experience once working a placer deposit way up north. The bizarre thing was that somehow the entire deposit appeared to have been flipped upside down. The bands of super-heavies were on the top, and the light sand and worthless material was underneath!

We skimmed the top few inches of the deposit of heavily iron-stained material, with loads of black sand, and got fat pickers (1/2 gram not uncommon) running with wonderful flake gold. It's some of the most fun I've ever had panning.

But below it for many feet there was nothing but light, barren material, all the way to the bedrock! Of course, it's always possible that there was a blast of water carrying gold that very quickly blew out over the top of the lighter material and instantly subsided. Furthermore, I'll admit that's even a likely possibility, but regardless, the whole deposit was the exact opposite of a traditional specific gravity deposit, where the heavies work their way down as far as they can. Moreover, I've never seen another one like it since.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"cubes of pyrite..." - fyi, in my hotspots below hydraulic mines, there was always nuggets of magnetite running to marble size, blobs of mercury, chunky gold with the usual flakes, and of course lead fishing weights.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"cubes of pyrite..." - fyi, in my hotspots below hydraulic mines, there was always nuggets of magnetite running to marble size, blobs of mercury, chunky gold with the usual flakes, and of course lead fishing weights.

You know, I sometimes find runs of magnetite with the pyrite as well. I've also found mercury, but that was when I was dredging.

It's nice to have someone else that's experienced similar findings chime in.

Thanks for your time, and if you'd like to add some tips of your own, please feel free to do so.

I'm always trying to learn more about chasing the gold, and I'd appreciate your input.

All the best,

Lanny

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
You are a way awesome guy and full of useful info. Unlike so many others. I was interested in your opinion on the vortex well sluice system and wether you thought it was worth the price. I current ally have a jobe high banker and stream sluice, plus I have tinkered with goldhog matting. If it is worth selling all these things to get better gold I would. I just want a seasoned prospectors opinion. Also here is a picture of a sweet spot yeilding anywhere from dust to oatmeal size flakes. If your on a good spot how much color should you see in the average test pan? Again love everything I have read of yours so far! image.jpg

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are a way awesome guy and full of useful info. Unlike so many others. I was interested in your opinion on the vortex well sluice system and wether you thought it was worth the price. I current ally have a jobe high banker and stream sluice, plus I have tinkered with goldhog matting. If it is worth selling all these things to get better gold I would. I just want a seasoned prospectors opinion. Also here is a picture of a sweet spot yeilding anywhere from dust to oatmeal size flakes. If your on a good spot how much color should you see in the average test pan? Again love everything I have read of yours so far!

Thanks for your kind words!

As to the specific Vortex Well sluice system, I've never used one (I'll have to check it out! OK, I checked it out. And, I have seen demonstrations of it on youtube before, I'd just forgot the name. I'd have to know a lot more about it before I switched as what I'm currently using to prospect lets me be very mobile, since I'm in a prospecting mode right now, not a processing mode.) I still find lots of gold with my regular river sluices (Keene with miner's moss; Letrap when I want to travel very light).

I love the shot of the place you're working. There's some great looking bedrock there, and some fine gold traps. I'd keep collecting those oatmeal sized flakes as they add up fast, unless they're foil thin, and then it will just take a bit longer to weigh up.

Someone else will probably feel free to jump in here about the Vortex Well system. I've spent the last while learning my GPX 5000 much better, and I've been getting back to basic prospecting as I've been forced to find new ground, and it's payed off already as I found where the gold's been hiding at the very end of the season. So, now I know where it is.

If I'm prospecting a spot and I'm going to work a small wash-plant (mom and pop size), and I get 8-10 nice sized flakes to the pan, I'll set up right quick and go to work. (If I get 4-6 good flakes, I'll run a test to see how I do overall before I commit to anything bigger.)

I'm not sure what your possibilities are for mechanized work in your area are after you hit a find, but I imagine if you're working right on the river, that option is out for you. If you can use a river sluice for production, that's an option. (I'm not sure how far from the river you have to be to run your high-banker, and you probably have to use a settling pond to catch your runoff regardless.) If a river sluice isn't an option, I imagine you'll be using a pan and a sucker gun to get the good stuff out of the crevices in that bedrock of yours.

Thanks again for dropping in, and all the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I posted this in response to a forum member that asked me for my opinion on the Falcon MD-20 gold probe (detector):

As far as the Falcon goes, if you want to work a very small area, or if you want to test for very small gold, that Falcon will get the job done. It has a very short learning curve, it's very sensitive, and it will definitely find gold, even underwater.

It's not a big ticket item, but it works very well for what it was designed for, and that's little jobs.

I've found nuggets and pickers with it, but I was looking for small gold, so the larger gold was an unexpected event.

On bedrock that's been running very good gold, the Falcon will sniff out the flakes and specks your other detector will miss as you can get the end of the Falcon's tiny probe (coil head) directly in contact with the gold (in places that will always be inaccessible to larger coils).

It's very slow going, but it will definitely find the gold. It's more of a prospecting tool than a mainline recovery tool.

I've got a picture of gold I found with the Falcon that I'll post. I also worked some small crevices I'd worked with my bigger detector and still found gold I'd missed with it.

If you have the money, I'd buy one and learn how to use it to its specific advantage (small work in tiny areas: bedrock cracks, crevices, small bedrock clean-up, prospecting prospective pay-dirt in dry areas far from water, etc.).

All the best,

Lanny

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_1383.JPG
Let me know what you find in your panned down samples.

What is the size of the gold in your area? What types of heavies run with the gold in your area? If there's good coarse gold running in your area, I'd move those big rocks and dig to hit bedrock.

Finer gold will be up higher in the top six inches or less. If fine gold is the norm, I'd dig where there are a bunch of fist sized rocks and test the layers down to about six inches.

If there's exposed bedrock and there's a solid deposit of gold, get a stiff bristle brush and a fine bristle brush. With the brushes, use a dustpan to sweep every bit of dirt from the exposed bedrock in to it. If there's coarse gold, get some sniping tools to pry parts apart and use sniping tools to get all crack and crevice material in to your dustpan as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny

Thanks for the tip about the fist sized cobble. I went out this last weekend and was working up from the water and found a few small pockets covered with fist sized cobble. The pockets were small but there was this amount in there ( pic). Thanks for sharing the wealth of knowledge. Wish you were my next door neighbor.

Goldenmojo

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What to do when deciding to check bedrock for gold.

I’ve written about this topic before, but I keep getting asked about it, so I’ll try to review a few basic principles.

If you want to check bedrock for gold, it has to be the right kind of bedrock. There are exceptions as I’ve discovered while using a metal detector, but we’ll stick with the general guidelines, unless I decide to tackle unusual bedrock in a follow-up post.

What do I mean by the right kind of bedrock? Well, if you look at the concrete on your driveway, or the concrete of your basement floor, you’ll see that it’s generally nice and smooth. There’s really not much of a chance that if a big gush of water carrying flakes or nuggets of gold flushed over your driveway or basement floor that the gold would have any place to get trapped.

That’s the key to gold and bedrock: the bedrock has to have some traps in it to catch the gold. For instance, if the concrete in your driveway had a large crack in it (let’s say at least an inch wide) that spanned the width of your driveway, and a big wash of water carrying gold was flushed across it, the gold would drop into the crack. As long as the water was flowing with sufficient force to propel the gold, it would only stop where it had a chance to drop, so it would likely be a waste of time to check the smooth concrete for gold. The time would be best spent investigating the contents of the crack.

When it comes to natural bedrock, the same thinking applies. If the bedrock is smooth, there’s not much chance of finding gold (there are exceptions to this, but they have to do with unique situations and geological processes). However, if the bedrock is heavily fractured, those fractures will work as natural gold traps. If the fractures run across the stream (perpendicular to the bank), they will work the best as gold grabbers. If the cracks and crevices run parallel to the bank, they will catch some gold, but they will not be anything near as efficient at stopping the gold as the ones that run across the stream. Having said that, please don’t think that parallel crevices aren’t worth investigating, because they are. I’ve got some nice nuggets out of them before, but the odds are against the parallel crevices, and they are dramatically for the perpendicular cracks and crevices. Moreover, if you go to all the trouble of clearing overburden all the way down to bedrock, investigate every crack and crevice!

In addition, if you are lucky enough to be working on dry bedrock that you’ve cleared, use a large sledgehammer to hit the bedrock so you can hopefully find a hidden crevice. You’ll know the crevices are there because as the hammer strikes the rock, little puffs of powdered clay (looks kind of like fine smoke) will float up into the air from hidden crevices (the principle works under the water as well). I’ve been given this tip by several Sourdoughs over the years, and it really works as a way to help identify where a crack is in the bedrock. Will every crevice or crack located this way have gold? Absolutely not, but it’s a great way to give you a new spot to check that most other people have never tried.

I wrote the following notes up in another post as well, but I’ll re-post it here: If you can imagine huge boulders (car-size to house-size) pounding down a streambed, with gold flowing along with them, when a big boulder bangs on the bedrock, it could very easily cause a fracture in the bedrock to open up for a moment. The gold could then drop, and as the boulder continues its journey and moves off the crack, the lessened weight and pressure on the opening could very possibly allow it to “snap” shut. This is one way of explaining how I’ve found nuggets, chunks of magnetite, and other stones in cracks that were much, much larger than the opening. There are probably other explanations as well, but regardless, somehow nuggets that are far larger than the crack’s opening get themselves trapped in the crevices!

All the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are all GREAT tips Lanny! :notworthy:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like TS said, those are great tips. I've tried some of Lanny's bedrock tips myself, I waved my GMT over ground that normally I would not have even thought of checking and sure enough I found gold, not staggering amounts or even a sassy nugget but pieces of gold just the same. Like Lanny says, "It all adds up". Or wait, maybe that was Hefty1. Either source is correct.....................63bkpkr

Oh, I've found Texas Gold but will save that for another time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread