Upvote 0

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to live outside of Reading Pa (Lowe Alsace up by the Pagoda) and coin hunting etc was the mainstay..... Now that i moved to Arizona it's a whole different place.... Lots to learn here about Nugget Hunting

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live outside of Reading Pa (Lowe Alsace up by the Pagoda) and coin hunting etc was the mainstay..... Now that i moved to Arizona it's a whole different place.... Lots to learn here about Nugget Hunting

I lived in Reading 25 years ago, went to jr high and high school there, my Mother's side of the family has actually lived in Berks County since 1710. I'm not from there though, moved there as a kid with my Mom.

I worked in the area this year painting bridges on the PA turnpike, I stayed in Denver and took a few trips into Reading. They sure expanded the ghetto while I was away, it's sad to say but it really went downhill. Even the cheesesteaks from Tack's were a let down, thankfully V&S still serves one heck of a steak. They have expanded beyond the two shops they had back then, if you're ever back in the area try the one in Ephrata. I never made it up to the Pagoda and Peace Sign nor did I get a chance to do any prospecting or detecting, there is supposed to be gold in Reading it's associated with the iron.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
Tacks..... years back that was an every Wednesday thing.... Reading has a murder just about every night now. Be very careful at the Pagoda and telegraph hill as vagrants sleep in the woods there now. I had a very close bad encounter there and i faked pulling a firearm out of my console and they took off
I'm north of Phoenix now near the Bradshaws but Phoenix has it's share of gangs now and it's a be careful zone depending where you are
I've found some gold but still lots more to learn to be in that upper 10%

mikebart88

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
elmira, ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used to live in troy, pa. i did a little prospecting around the area and found some gold dust. i found a map on google that shows deposits i can share it with you if you want it

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live close to Reading , but won't even drive near it ,,, stick the woods and local parks in the Ft Zellar area

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my gold club is in strinestown off 83 north of york, we dredge in the creek there, find some decent pieces and an occasional picker. we have the only state approved dredge permit in the state of pa

sgt tee,
ive gone prospecting outside of windgap a few times and found some flakes everytime

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
That is really nice to hear.... I may have to check some of that out whenever i go back east

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i used to live in troy, pa. i did a little prospecting around the area and found some gold dust. i found a map on google that shows deposits i can share it with you if you want it

Yes that would be cool, Thanks

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live around 40 miles West of Reading, Maybe Tamaqua, Hazleton, McAdo, Barnesville, Delano, all little patch towns near me. About 20 miles to the famous Centrailia site where the mine fire under the ground is burning and they moved the entire town. I think there is 2 family's that stayed there. You can Goggle that, there is lots of info about it on line. My spelling of the town is wrong but I am sure it will come up. I will try to do it for you guys and then attach it here

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tacks..... years back that was an every Wednesday thing.... Reading has a murder just about every night now. Be very careful at the Pagoda and telegraph hill as vagrants sleep in the woods there now. I had a very close bad encounter there and i faked pulling a firearm out of my console and they took off
I'm north of Phoenix now near the Bradshaws but Phoenix has it's share of gangs now and it's a be careful zone depending where you are
I've found some gold but still lots more to learn to be in that upper 10%

Thanks for the warning. :icon_thumright:

I stayed in some of the worse places in Reading when I lived there. The last placed I stayed was down by 10th and Chestnut, in one week there was a shooting, a stabbing and assault that left a guy in critical condition. This all happened on my block and I held that last guys head together until the ambulance got there, two guys were beating him in the head with a brick right in front of my house and I chased them off with a shotgun.

I carry a .45 on a regular basis and hang off bridges for a living, I only fear the Lord lol. :laughing7:

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live around 40 miles West of Reading, Maybe Tamaqua, Hazleton, McAdo, Barnesville, Delano, all little patch towns near me. About 20 miles to the famous Centrailia site where the mine fire under the ground is burning and they moved the entire town. I think there is 2 family's that stayed there. You can Goggle that, there is lots of info about it on line. My spelling of the town is wrong but I am sure it will come up. I will try to do it for you guys and then attach it here

I was dating a girl who moved to Hazelton when I lived in Reading, her stepdad bought the Hazelton Cab Company, this was back in the 80's. I used to run 309 all the way from Reading to Hazelton on the weekends to pick her up.

I worked in Wilkes Barre a few years ago, I painted the bridge that crosses the Susquehanna right by Gerrity's Market, I shot some video when I did some sampling in the Wapwallopen area. My job doesn't leave much free time so 95% of my Summer prospecting is limited to sampling areas where I'm working.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the warning. :icon_thumright:

I stayed in some of the worse places in Reading when I lived there. The last placed I stayed was down by 10th and Chestnut, in one week there was a shooting, a stabbing and assault that left a guy in critical condition. This all happened on my block and I held that last guys head together until the ambulance got there, two guys were beating him in the head with a brick right in front of my house and I chased them off with a shotgun.

I carry a .45 on a regular basis and hang off bridges for a living, I only fear the Lord lol. :laughing7:

This was a great movie, even the part about stacking up the enemy and using them for sand bags, A classic thats for sure. (.25 cal for me, Kneecap breaker)

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a great movie, even the part about stacking up the enemy and using them for sand bags, A classic thats for sure. (.25 cal for me, Kneecap breaker)

Sure was, I grew up watching Dirty Harry lol! :laughing7:

I was thinking about picking up a smaller 9mm, my .45 has a 4" barrel and a little harder to conceal in the Summer, I wouldn't mind having something that fits in the pocket.

Here is another great scene from another classic.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Beretta, and it looks like I have a cigarette light in my pocket, nice and neat. Easy ,Peasey!. Like I mentioned, you would need to be a couple of feet of your target. I thought about a shoulder holster for my mag (357) but its too heavy. I take that when I am deep in the woods by myself when I am metal detecting. I am wanting a 45, military style, I forget the model name 1911, 1912???They are very expensive

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread