Gold in WV?

ive seen gold that was found in wv and talked to the guy who owns it. its here... i dont think our mtns are as rich inn gold as alaska's streams and mtns but its here for the findings... are you from WV?

I am. N. Central. (fairmont) if you hear of any good rivers or creeks, let me know. I would love to get started with the kids and find a little something.

I've heard that gold can be panned out of the Ohio River but haven't tried.

theres gold in the greenbrier river, meadow river, new river and gauley river

There's Blue and Gold in Morgantown. Oh sorry you are not talking about WVU. :laughing7:
My Alma Mater.

-Roy

gold has been found in wv. very very very little. usually found in quartz. i have personally panned and detected many times for it. you have more luck in a bag of sand at Lowes.

its mostly flour gold not worth the time but it still adds up

Is it worth getting a local bag of sand? Has anyone panned the Ohio River

It's allways worth a try..I'm gonna...Just don't quit your day job....yet...;-)

I live in the Ohio valley but have not tried the river. My research shows there is black sand in the valley which I believe is a good sign. Drilling reports can be found on the Internet that show depth of black sand. There apparently is no native gold but there are glacial deposits that came from the north.

WVPapaw said:
I live in the Ohio valley but have not tried the river. My research shows there is black sand in the valley which I believe is a good sign. Drilling reports can be found on the Internet that show depth of black sand. There apparently is no native gold but there are glacial deposits that came from the north.

I haven't panned the river it's self but I have panned sand from the river and found black sand but no gold yet.

I think there has been no native gold or native silver recognized to date in West Virginia.

Tried another river, saw some great water worn gravel and quartz but this time no black sands no color at all. Skunked

I found a stream with a TON of quarts even for this area, the rocks sparkle with it and their is chunks of it. What type of dirt and where should I pan because the only times I paned this spot is when I first started paning.
P.S. already seeing if their is a vain.

Last edited:
Found a flake today! I am excited because it is fairly close to where I live. I have to go back out and check it out more but this.may be neat.
Also found this too a 1925 dime in my pan found in my test dirt!

Attachments

• ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    ForumRunnerImage.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 149
Found a flake today! I am excited because it is fairly close to where I live. I have to go back out and check it out more but this.may be neat.
Also found this too a 1925 dime in my pan found in my test dirt!

AWESOME! Have fun and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back