Gold is heavy...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is too!

I bought a cheap pocket scale(1,000g capacity at 0.1g resolution) for $7.19 on the bay free shipping, i can't complain! the thing runs great... anyway, i weigh my rolls once in a while to see if the theory "silver is heavier" comes out true...

of the 200 dime rolls, about 170 rolls were between 114.0-114.5g and 30 were in the 114.6-115.0g... it turns out that the lighter rolls did not give up any silver and the heavier rolls did!

just thought I would share, silver is heavier then regular clad, but you cannot tell with 40% silver halves. I open every roll anyway. lots of the MWR rolls weighed up between 110.0-112.2 grams indicating a 1-2 coin shortage, so with the silver i found,(2 dimes) might just be enough to cover the cost of short rolls.
hh
buff

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya buff with halves you can only get an inkling on the 90%, the 40%'s are to close in weight.

I gave up on CWR quarters because of all the shorts, not really sure why I stopped CWR dimes, I could get 1000+ per week, mainly I suppose as I've stated in other threads even with crappy boxes I still find that my ounces/hour are better with bad halves than ok dimes.

HH,
Bigheed

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your getting shorted. Why not return the coin rolled and give them there short rolls right back?

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mainly I suppose as I've stated in other threads even with crappy boxes I still find that my ounces/hour are better with bad halves than ok dimes.

HH,
Bigheed

This has been my experience. A great dime box for me would be 4 keepers but thats only one 90% half. If halves dried up for me I would do dimes.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the input... I can't win! it's not worth returning 2-3 short rolls back to the bank with the thought that there could be a silver in the roll, plus it does not look good on my part... and i am usually shorted $1 or so every box or 2 each time I dump, i just consider it the cost of CRH'ing... last time 24 dimes were counted as pennies. anything more and I would have said something... i just don't want to be "that guy" more then I already am.
hh
buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread