Gold is heavy...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is too!

I bought a cheap pocket scale(1,000g capacity at 0.1g resolution) for $7.19 on the bay free shipping, i can't complain! the thing runs great... anyway, i weigh my rolls once in a while to see if the theory "silver is heavier" comes out true...

of the 200 dime rolls, about 170 rolls were between 114.0-114.5g and 30 were in the 114.6-115.0g... it turns out that the lighter rolls did not give up any silver and the heavier rolls did!

just thought I would share, silver is heavier then regular clad, but you cannot tell with 40% silver halves. I open every roll anyway. lots of the MWR rolls weighed up between 110.0-112.2 grams indicating a 1-2 coin shortage, so with the silver i found,(2 dimes) might just be enough to cover the cost of short rolls.
hh
buff

Upvote 0
Ya buff with halves you can only get an inkling on the 90%, the 40%'s are to close in weight.

I gave up on CWR quarters because of all the shorts, not really sure why I stopped CWR dimes, I could get 1000+ per week, mainly I suppose as I've stated in other threads even with crappy boxes I still find that my ounces/hour are better with bad halves than ok dimes.

HH,
Bigheed

If your getting shorted. Why not return the coin rolled and give them there short rolls right back?

mainly I suppose as I've stated in other threads even with crappy boxes I still find that my ounces/hour are better with bad halves than ok dimes.

HH,
Bigheed

This has been my experience. A great dime box for me would be 4 keepers but thats only one 90% half. If halves dried up for me I would do dimes.

Thanks all for the input... I can't win! it's not worth returning 2-3 short rolls back to the bank with the thought that there could be a silver in the roll, plus it does not look good on my part... and i am usually shorted $1 or so every box or 2 each time I dump, i just consider it the cost of CRH'ing... last time 24 dimes were counted as pennies. anything more and I would have said something... i just don't want to be "that guy" more then I already am.
hh
buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back