gold mine

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
And this surprises you? If sombody knew it's location then it wouldn't be "lost"...would it? :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably just a rumor, or old wives tale like the other 100's of lost mines in NY :laughing7:

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
Best bet is to go to the county historical society, and research it,also newspaper arcives of the time period.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
moosedsl said:
Has anyone heard about an old lost gold mine in hamilton countyNY? I know of one, but cannot get any info on it's location.

There are no gold mines in New York State, none - zip, period. There are hundreds of schemes to sell New York State gold mines. Check with the State Geologist if you do not believe me. - Terry

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold the Brooklyn bridge last week to a taxi driver in New York last week.

OP
OP
moosedsl

moosedsl

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2009
upstate ny
Well, I had thought some of you were experts. Ha, as far as you all dont know, there is gold. We have got some, however alot of you just go by hear say and will not believe it. I will stick to my NY friends which understand and have a little more sincerity than some of you. I know many secret spots, gold streams, indian villages, mines but was wondering if anyone had "explored" the lost one. I KNOW what lost means, but just because its lost does not mean you cant look for it or have any info on it. :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
moosedsl, I think what people are trying to tell you is, "lost mine" and stage-coach robberies, and hidden military payrolls and other such stories are a "dime a dozen". If you really want to find more to chase, then just go pick up any treasure mag. from up through the mid 1970s, and each issue was FULL of them. Yup, the dying miner drags himself into the saloon ....... the lone survivor of an indian attack. He spills the story of fabulous riches to the curious onlookers, in his mine. He gives 5 or 6 tantalizing clues, and perhaps even a crude map. However, he dies before he can go back to claim his riches. Blah blah blah. And each one is filled with iron-clad factoids.

The problem is, when you scrutinize them closely, asking "who says" and "what is the source" and "what is THAT sources 'source'", etc... they begin to fall apart, and are just legend, conjecture, etc....

But you know why they're so easy to believe, and fun to read? Because the human psyche wants SO hard to believe them, "lest you be left out". Thus we all subconsciously ignore the silliness of them, and can only concentrate on the "what if" factors. The same human psychology that drags people into crazy MLM get-rich schemes, etc.... "lest you be left out"

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
moosedsl said:
Well, I had thought some of you were experts. Ha, as far as you all dont know, there is gold. We have got some, however alot of you just go by hear say and will not believe it. I will stick to my NY friends which understand and have a little more sincerity than some of you. I know many secret spots, gold streams, indian villages, mines but was wondering if anyone had "explored" the lost one. I KNOW what lost means, but just because its lost does not mean you cant look for it or have any info on it. :D

Dude, I live in New York, and I am a professional gold prospector. The only gold in New York is glacial from Canada. I prospect for gold in Central Arizona, where there are actual gold mines. In New York, I prospect the beaches of Long Island. You keep looking though, what could it hurt? - Terry

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Dano Sverige said:
And this surprises you? If sombody knew it's location then it wouldn't be "lost"...would it? :laughing9:

I had to laugh out loud!

OP
OP
moosedsl

moosedsl

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2009
upstate ny
Okay everyone. How many of you are from NY? And not including the city. I grew up in these woods and have many things to explore. We have an old indian village in our back yard, NO I have not gotten there yet. Its about a 4 mile hike and with 5 kids under 6 its a little hard. When we get up there this summer I will post if we find anything. There are also about 6 cellar holes within a half a mile. And a stream we panned since kids. Yes we did get flakes, nothing big. BUT guess what its gold and it was found in NY. Yes, I believe there are stories, but all who explore go on some kind of interest, story, fact or belief. Thats what this is all about. I was just hoping to get some New Yorkers who were interested in what I had to say.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
moosedsl said:
Okay everyone. How many of you are from NY? And not including the city. I grew up in these woods and have many things to explore. We have an old indian village in our back yard, NO I have not gotten there yet. Its about a 4 mile hike and with 5 kids under 6 its a little hard. When we get up there this summer I will post if we find anything. There are also about 6 cellar holes within a half a mile. And a stream we panned since kids. Yes we did get flakes, nothing big. BUT guess what its gold and it was found in NY. Yes, I believe there are stories, but all who explore go on some kind of interest, story, fact or belief. Thats what this is all about. I was just hoping to get some New Yorkers who were interested in what I had to say.

Hey Moose, I'm interested in what you have to say, and I think you should be interested in what I am saying as well. You are in one of the best places in the world to find old caches of coins and relics. You may even pan a few flakes of gold every now and then from an upstate stream, but you will never find a gold mine in New York State - the geology is just wrong. Eastern Connecticut, Vermont? Yes. Not New York. You are much better off focusing on those old cellers, outhouses and indian camps - as well as Revolutionary War-era relics. Good Luck! - Terry

OP
OP
moosedsl

moosedsl

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2009
upstate ny
Terry,
Like I said in my previous post, I am new at this. My father and uncle enjoy going metal detecting. I grew up doing all of this with my father, including fishing, hunting, bottle digging. It's in my blood to enjoy the outdoors and what remains underground. My father has found thousands of bottles, he used to sell but now he is retired and just enjoy's the hobby. He has found numerous arrow heads, war buttons, dog tags, coins etc. I know this area has so much to offer. I have little children and it is hard to do as much as I would like. I dont like going alone, with the coyotes and bears all around I cant watch all the kiddos. I guess I was wondering if there is anyone around this area who who would like to search. I know some things to look for but I am not an expert. We have a bottle dump that is about 2 acres, have spent many hours digging. These cellar holes I know have to be something of interest. Just not sure what I should keep and eye out for. I dont have the best detector, and there is so much old car part around here. Whats the best thing to start with, or look for? I also have a large stone wall that goes about 1-3 miles. Any tips would help. Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
moosedsl said:
Terry,
Like I said in my previous post, I am new at this. My father and uncle enjoy going metal detecting. I grew up doing all of this with my father, including fishing, hunting, bottle digging. It's in my blood to enjoy the outdoors and what remains underground. My father has found thousands of bottles, he used to sell but now he is retired and just enjoy's the hobby. He has found numerous arrow heads, war buttons, dog tags, coins etc. I know this area has so much to offer. I have little children and it is hard to do as much as I would like. I dont like going alone, with the coyotes and bears all around I cant watch all the kiddos. I guess I was wondering if there is anyone around this area who who would like to search. I know some things to look for but I am not an expert. We have a bottle dump that is about 2 acres, have spent many hours digging. These cellar holes I know have to be something of interest. Just not sure what I should keep and eye out for. I dont have the best detector, and there is so much old car part around here. Whats the best thing to start with, or look for? I also have a large stone wall that goes about 1-3 miles. Any tips would help. Thanks

Stake out a 20' x 20' area that you want to detect out in the woods or in a celler hole. Take a garden rake and rake off all of the overburden (leaves, wood, rocks, whatever). Grid the area by searching first one way (Start in the southern corner and detect south to north, north to south), and then start in the west corner, and detect west to east, east to west. On a stone fence, keep the search coil right on the stones and move it flat up and down as you walk along the wall, then do the same thing coming back the other way on the other side. Metal detector giving you a signal on a rock in the wall? Could be a hot rock, could be a meteorite. Email me [email protected] I'm in White Plains, in Westchester County. Maybe we can hunt together upstate. - Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread