DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
epi-hunter said:
DFX-Gregg said:
Yes you are right...the water guys are amazing! But for me pulling out a gold ring because they are hard to find makes it a challenge... Also they really help to buy more equipment... I decided when I got back in the hobby...everything will be paid for in finds... Makes me go out alot more than I used to. The quickest way to buy more is gold...especially with todays prices... Pulling out a Merc is fun but unless a key date...even 100 might not equal one nice sized gold ring find value wise that is of course unless a key date.....But my clad already paid for my dfx...this year the clad is paying for an se... Will be interesting to hunt with both...

Great point, and I'm starting to think along those lines lately too.... the challenge is what got me into this hobby neck-deep. Who wants to do things the easy way?

I will be really interested to hear what you think of the SE after using the DFX. Why did you decide on the SE? Are you going to switch over, or use both? I had an opportunity to pick up a DFX for a really good price a few weeks ago, and I almost took it but I passed it up because I have my hands full with the SE (you know your DFX way better than I know my SE at this point...). But I have been really tempted to try the DFX, because so many people love it and for the added challenge. But I need to master this SE first, I think. Whites and Minelabs are so different, and high end complicated machines from both might throw me off the deep end at this point :)

I decided to add an se after talking with a few members on different forums... I would also consider an ex 11...but will most likely be one or the other...I have also been sent some pm's telling me the f-75 is the machine to get...light..deep...but then get others talking about poor quality...faulty coils... The dfx as I have said is deadly from 0 to 6 inches...awesome pinpointing...would have been an interesting pickup for you.... Remember in my little town there are over 2 million people, over 550 parks and 39 large beaches.... so there is alot for the dfx to clean up in that range... If you are mainly going deep...I would stick with the se... Captain se (Dan) can be of some help...we were discussing the ex2 and se in a couple private messages the other day... The guy knows his stuff and Minelab should feature some of his finds in their advertising... Sometimes it is easier to talk behind the scenes...because you get to much distraction on the forums...from those who like to stir the pot...

I am reading Jeff Foster's book digging deeper with the dfx to help me...I never believe with these high end machines you know everything...I am enjoying the book...but up to now (half way through) book seems more geared toward beginners...hopefully it will pick up and teach me how to break deeper into the soil... My deepest hits are usually 7.5.... But on average deepest 6.5 I have had to many se users simply tell me... I had a dfx...I tried all the programs...the Minelabs are deeper....

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
DFX-Gregg said:
I decided to add an se after talking with a few members on different forums... I would also consider an ex 11...but will most likely be one or the other...I have also been sent some pm's telling me the f-75 is the machine to get...light..deep...but then get others talking about poor quality...faulty coils... The dfx as I have said is deadly from 0 to 6 inches...awesome pinpointing...would have been an interesting pickup for you.... Remember in my little town there are over 2 million people, over 550 parks and 39 large beaches.... so there is alot for the dfx to clean up in that range... If you are mainly going deep...I would stick with the se... Captain se (Dan) can be of some help...we were discussing the ex2 and se in a couple private messages the other day... The guy knows his stuff and Minelab should feature some of his finds in their advertising... Sometimes it is easier to talk behind the scenes...because you get to much distraction on the forums...from those who like to stir the pot...

I am reading Jeff Foster's book digging deeper with the dfx to help me...I never believe with these high end machines you know everything...I am enjoying the book...but up to now (half way through) book seems more geared toward beginners...hopefully it will pick up and teach me how to break deeper into the soil... My deepest hits are usually 7.5.... But on average deepest 6.5 I have had to many se users simply tell me... I had a dfx...I tried all the programs...the Minelabs are deeper....

It was a GREAT deal... I should have picked it up.

I have also learned more talking offline to a couple of people (an experienced DFX user on that other site) and someone else who knows the DFX well... what I learned was that the DFX is an awesome deep machine, and I was told its tonal range is great to about 7 inches or so, then it becomes a lot more complicated to get it tweaked right to get the deep targets sounding good. Has to be programmed correctly to meet the soil conditions at hand; otherwise, might as well have a midrange machine. Not having used the DFX, I don't know personally.

I'm still working on getting more depth with the SE. I use ferrous sounds and have tweaked a lot with the settings. I tend to rely too much on the display ID and not enough on the tones, and that's something I'm working to overcome. There are so many tones. I also need to sloooooowww down... swing speed is 4 seconds side to side at the fastest... tough for me as I am not always the most patient person.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the SE.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
epi-hunter said:
DFX-Gregg said:

It was a GREAT deal... I should have picked it up.

I have also learned more talking offline to a couple of people (an experienced DFX user on that other site) and someone else who knows the DFX well... what I learned was that the DFX is an awesome deep machine, and I was told its tonal range is great to about 7 inches or so, then it becomes a lot more complicated to get it tweaked right to get the deep targets sounding good. Has to be programmed correctly to meet the soil conditions at hand; otherwise, might as well have a midrange machine. Not having used the DFX, I don't know personally.

I'm still working on getting more depth with the SE. I use ferrous sounds and have tweaked a lot with the settings. I tend to rely too much on the display ID and not enough on the tones, and that's something I'm working to overcome. There are so many tones. I also need to sloooooowww down... swing speed is 4 seconds side to side at the fastest... tough for me as I am not always the most patient person.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the SE.

Wow the swing speed is slowww on the se! I believe on dfx it is around 2 seconds... And a nice feature it has an adjustable sweep speed setting... Well good luck...will let you know...I am bidding on one on ebay right now...winning but that rarely lasts on ebay...take care.. :)

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
Greg, hunting for silver coins is fun,but the glitter of gold in my scoop is unreal. I do alright for the time I put in. But a guy like the Crack badger can make a decent liveing at it. Check the top of this page. You will notice he is jumping for joy. Finding gold will do that to you. Good luck. Mike.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Gold is my quest.
I like Silver second to Gold. Silver coins and jewelry come when you concentrate on finding Gold. Gold is not that hard to find on dry land if you know the places to look. When you look for Silver you find very little Gold, but when you look for gold you find everything except iron.

Using the right machine in the right conditions helps. Point being, I won a MD’ing contest with my GB-2 Gold up against the top of the line Silver ML Machines with expert hunters behind them. I found the biggest (1945 WLHD) and tied with silver numbers (6) and I found a Gold ring too.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ant said:
Gold is my quest.
I like Silver second to Gold. Silver coins and jewelry come when you concentrate on finding Gold. Gold is not that hard to find on dry land if you know the places to look. When you look for Silver you find very little Gold, but when you look for gold you find everything except iron.

Using the right machine in the right conditions helps. Point being, I won a MD’ing contest with my GB-2 Gold up against the top of the line Silver ML Machines with expert hunters behind them. I found the biggest (1945 WLHD) and tied with silver numbers (6) and I found a Gold ring too.

Good work winning the contest...... :)

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
I'm a numismatist at heart, so I much rather find a common silver coin than a gold ring. I KNOW, I KNOW, the gold is worth more, but there's something about digging up an old silver coin that gets my blood pumping!

Sure, I'm happy when I dig up a nice piece of gold jewelry ~ but usually after showing it off at the monthly club meeting I just go sell it for the cash. I can use the cash more than the jewelry! But I keep all my coins ~ the good ones anyway. I save up the clad and spend it on my wife ~ take her out to dinner, a movie, etc. This usually buys me some extra detecting time down the road!

HAPPY HUNTING!
Neil

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
oddcoins said:
I'm a numismatist at heart, so I much rather find a common silver coin than a gold ring. I KNOW, I KNOW, the gold is worth more, but there's something about digging up an old silver coin that gets my blood pumping!

Sure, I'm happy when I dig up a nice piece of gold jewelry ~ but usually after showing it off at the monthly club meeting I just go sell it for the cash. I can use the cash more than the jewelry! But I keep all my coins ~ the good ones anyway. I save up the clad and spend it on my wife ~ take her out to dinner, a movie, etc. This usually buys me some extra detecting time down the road!

HAPPY HUNTING!
Neil

Very good points Neil...I use the gold to buy more equipment...the silver I find far and few between usually is not enough to even buy a coil cover! :D The value is not there and the condition does not usually allow the coins to even come close to entering my coin collection...or to think of it...not even my sons collection..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread