GOLD OVER 800 AN OZ !!!! THIS BOARD ISNT ON FIRE ?????

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
wow , gold at 30 year highs !! doesnt seem like anyone around here is truly excited about it.?? i know its after thanksgiving ,and probly too cold to be out doing much mining right now. so mabe that partially explains it??? i guess in the winter maybe one would switch over to nugget hunting. might be warm enuf in s arizona or somewhere. i also know that the gold hunting community is known for being close mouthed. now i spend most of my posts over in the crh board. and its not my intention to criticize. but cmon guys 30 year highs. certainly many are preparing for a big season next year. if gold stays high and the economy goes in the dumper.and there is a good possibility it might. thereare gonna be some extra newbies out there tryin to scrape up some grocery money. i know increased competition never seems welcome.but in the past it has helped me get up and get out there ,and i ended up finding more not less. thus said im only a wanna be gold hunter. my experiace is only at pay to pan places in n carolina and n ga. due to elderly relatives who i promised not to move away from i am stuck in central illinois. how i envy those of u w access to gold prod areas. i am semi retired.but only travel in the winter is there anywhere in the usa that on can gold hunt comfortably in jan and feb.???

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once it reaches $1000 hold on. 8)...aa

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooo Hoo!!I am excited,doesnt make it any easier to get out of the ground!!Also its not as easy as you think getting That for your gold.

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
scrounger---where did you go in north georgia and how did you do there. i was thinking about making a trip to georgia from home in michigan... thanks for your help...JOHN

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what goes always comes down,look at spot these last 2 weeks. Seen it before,will see it again,all it means is that there will be a new BIGGER crop of *&^%$# claimjumpers this spring-John

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Yes I agree about getting it out of the ground. It's not like picking up a coin or digging out an earring from the sand.

Gold is rewarding but difficult. Unless of course it's in ring form with a diamond attached. ;D

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people do this hobby for pleasure not profit. To me, finding it is what its all about! If I found a 12.8 oz. chunk like ole Shep in Mariposa, I might sell..

Cooter

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
bigfish31 said:
I've been hitting the rocks hard for the last 3 weeks, averaging about 2 /3 grams a day. Trying to find a big pocket.
thats the way.not getting rich obviously but evry day the excitement of maybe that big strike.

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
kuger is right..
I live in alaska and have seen plenty of gold...it doesn't change your modi operandi....what happens is...when the price goes way up, alot of small time speculators, who know little to nutthin', come up. they expect to get rich, not knowing the costs involved, ($....areas...terraine...and the mother of all....have no experience. I've seen them come and go...to great expense to themselves. Nothing wrong with trying....just try to know what you are really getting into before hand. This is a good forum for asking questions of people who have..been there ...done that..and as far as I can see...all like to help....GOOD PROSPECTING!

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
49erjohn said:
scrounger---where did you go in north georgia and how did you do there. i was thinking about making a trip to georgia from home in michigan... thanks for your help...JOHN

HEY JOHN, i went last yr to the crisson mine in dahlonega. i had been there years ago. they have ore buckets of all different kinds. i had a small sluice box w me. i didnt have a great deal to spend. 50 dollars worth of ore kept me busy for about 2 days of 3.5 to 4.5 hours ea. and sore by then 4 sure. the ore is processed by their 150 yr old stamp mill.so is very small gold. after 2 days i was showing around what i had found. most agreed i had 75 to 80 dollars worth----of course u cant actually get that much from a buyer. but in theory i made 25 bucks. they had some large concentrator machine u could use for free if u buy a dozer bucket,100 dollars i think. i had seen some guys use it and asked polietely if i could see what they found but both refused. i had come mostly to try and get re acquainted with panning and the sluise box. so wasnt that worried about not using the big machine. they have a paint can size deluxe ore for 100 dollars which is supposedly all concentrate from thebig machine.without all the work. anyway just as i was about to give in and try the deluxe ore,another guy showed what he got at another pay to pan in helen ga. much bigger nuggets.so, off to helen. the name of the place there is gold n gem grubbin. i stretched the budget and bought a deluxe for 120 as he had said he did.i found as much or more than him.so i was happy. pretty empty there. having no one else to ask i go back to their office.they said i did real good.but then u wonder if they tell everyone that.i thought i would invest in a electronic scale to weigh it but never did. usually if u can actually make a few bucks while having a good time .a great bargain.!!! if i was going again i would go to both buy their best ore spend equal money ay each and see which give the most gold for the money.if u can only go one place i would say helen. both places got website.

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
scrounger said:
49erjohn said:

HEY JOHN, i went last yr to the crisson mine in dahlonega. i had been there years ago. they have ore buckets of all different kinds. i had a small sluice box w me. i didnt have a great deal to spend. 50 dollars worth of ore kept me busy for about 2 days of 3.5 to 4.5 hours ea. and sore by then 4 sure. the ore is processed by their 150 yr old stamp mill.so is very small gold. after 2 days i was showing around what i had found. most agreed i had 75 to 80 dollars worth----of course u cant actually get that much from a buyer. but in theory i made 25 bucks. they had some large concentrator machine u could use for free if u buy a dozer bucket,100 dollars i think. i had seen some guys use it and asked polietely if i could see what they found but both refused. i had come mostly to try and get re acquainted with panning and the sluise box. so wasnt that worried about not using the big machine. they have a paint can size deluxe ore for 100 dollars which is supposedly all concentrate from thebig machine.without all the work. anyway just as i was about to give in and try the deluxe ore,another guy showed what he got at another pay to pan in helen ga. much bigger nuggets.so, off to helen. the name of the place there is gold n gem grubbin. i stretched the budget and bought a deluxe for 120 as he had said he did.i found as much or more than him.so i was happy. pretty empty there. having no one else to ask i go back to their office.they said i did real good.but then u wonder if they tell everyone that.i thought i would invest in a electronic scale to weigh it but never did. usually if u can actually make a few bucks while having a good time .a great bargain.!!! if i was going again i would go to both buy their best ore spend equal money ay each and see which give the most gold for the money.if u can only go one place i would say helen. both places got website.
Man! If I could sell my dirt by the pound,I'm glad I live in california.

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
big fish 31, you need to sell you dirt...I have seen your postings...if felix in alaska can get $280.00 for a pound of dirt with a gram of planted gold in it you should do real good with your dirt on ebay!!! JOHN

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
49erjohn said:
big fish 31, you need to sell you dirt...I have seen your postings...if felix in alaska can get $280.00 for a pound of dirt with a gram of planted gold in it you should do real good with your dirt on ebay!!! JOHN
It's got me thinking. The owner of the property has mentioned opening it up for a commercial mining "experience". I'm not sure if I like that or not. I like not having any competition.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my 2 cents but I have tried that E-Bay rout selling my dredge concentrates(I dredge 4-8 ounces a season)guaranteed at least a gram,and it did not "Pan"out so to speak.I was told my dirt was too full of black sand and hematite,too hard to pan!!!I told them send the gold you found back and I would refund the money,all I got back was the gram I had salted with!!I know for a fact the stuff was throwing 2-3 grams itself!!!It would have been great if it would have worked out,I am sick of panning concentrates all winter,But they are rich!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I agree,I dont know if they wanted me to just throw some gold in some dirt or what.That would be rediculous!!This other way I dont how much you are going to get!!And I dont have to mess with working it.I have my fifty five gallon drum of concentrates about half down.I use two spiral panners along with panning but you have to really classify down to put it through the spiral.I also get alot of mercury covered gold in my area.I could just see getting sued because somebody killed themselves trying to get it off.

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
kuger said:
Yea I agree,I dont know if they wanted me to just throw some gold in some dirt or what.That would be rediculous!!This other way I dont how much you are going to get!!And I dont have to mess with working it.I have my fifty five gallon drum of concentrates about half down.I use two spiral panners along with panning but you have to really classify down to put it through the spiral.I also get alot of mercury covered gold in my area.I could just see getting sued because somebody killed themselves trying to get it off. I didn't think about the mercury. Most of the gold I find in the creek ,by weight , is in amalgam. I made the mistake of not getting quite all of the merc out, this is what happened. People might not know how to deal wth it at a consumer level. And, yea, toxic gold.

Attachments

• mercury 018.jpg
    mercury 018.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 557
  • mercury 022.jpg
    mercury 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 536

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread