All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
C

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to make a trip down there and do some looking but not for the "fines" but further up stream where the heavy minerals are...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That or head up HWY 16 toward Llano. When you get to Sandy Creek pull over, and pan. Powder gold up and down that creek. May or may not be water, but there is gold. Llano river upstream from Llano also has gold. Some guys dredge, some pan. Small flakes with the occasional nugget. But around Enchanted Rock? If you follow some of those streams be careful. Folks up there think they own the creeks and will shoot you. Now, I have looked into your idea since about 1963 and never found a thing. But out from Brady you can find silver and like I said, north of there(ER) you can find gold. Not much, but it is there. Get a topo and look NW of Llano(where the highest hills are). Old rumor about a deposit in there somewhere on the creeks. Never tried to look. Don't believe in rumors, but who knows...
By the way, on HWY 16, past Sandy Creek, but before you reach HWY 71, there is a dirt road going to the right. It goes back to some ranches and as you go down it there is a deposit of very heavy white crystalline rock. Was told it was lead and silver ore. I have a fairly large piece sitting here, but I never followed up on that either. You may want to take a look. Have fun, good luck and if the old rock shop is open on the square in Llano, they can tell you what has been found and where. Just be polite. Been a long time since I've been up that way...

Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prospect out in Llano on occasion. I will tell you from sources I know. Sandy Creek is the ONLY creek that IS NOT public water way. I known people who have gone out there prospecting off the highway and ventured down to Sandy and have been approached by ranchers telling them to get off the property, INCLUDING in the water way.

Unless you get to know a rancher that has property on Sandy who will let you prospect, but chances are it is hard to meet a rancher as most of the drives to the house or property are long and especially gated.

But as I researched and can't understand why, (except Sandy Creek HAS GOLD IN IT from reading up on the Bordon, (the dauther of the famous Bordon Milk Company owner), owned a silver and gold mine of the late 1800's out by or near Enchanted Rock which had deposits go into 2 creeks called Silver and Gold Creeks hence the name), that the state says it is NOT a public water way and ranchers own it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread