Gold Panning Creeks

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody,

I'm new to this area of the forum, and thought I'd ask a couple of questions:

Quick background:
I live in Bucks County, Pennslyvania
I have been searching a creek across the street from me for arrowheads (Which is mainly how I found this amazing forum).
I have recently been suggested to possibly pan my creek for gold.

I know NOTHING about panning for gold, however, I have been (and will continue to) search forums and youtube for advice on how to pan for it. So, my question is most likely the most common newbie question:
Could ANY creek hold gold? I am by new means trying to do this to get rich, it is strictly for the hobby. One flake of gold in the bottom of my pan would be all I talk about to friends and family for the next month straight.

The reason I ask, is because I would not want to travel to pan for gold. I am only interested in my creek. Maybe later on down the line I would, but for now, I am strictly talking about my creek. I know that nobody knows what creek I am speaking of, but here is a quick description:

It has great running water. Subject to flooding almost every time it rains. Rocky, pebbly, sandy, muddy bottom. Connects to a major river (Delaware River) about ten miles down the road. Lastly, the creek seems to just begin about eight miles away from my house in the opposite direction of the major river. It was used as a way of passage for Native Americans (its an older creek).

What I want to avoid (if I can) is purchasing the panning kit online if my area (Bucks County, PA) does not seem like a good area. I did a lot of research on Google, but I could not find any evidence of people discussing panning in my immediate area.

Obviously the kit is not going to break the bank, but I just wanted your opinions on what YOU WOULD DO if you singled yourself out to one creek. The description above about my creek is spot-on, so I hope that offers a good enough description. Again, I've never done this before, so thanks for everybody's advice!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. Just for comedic purposes, I thought I'd bump this thread quickly to tell you my purchases: yes, that was plural, lol.
Gold Rush Nugget Bucket
Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
15" Garrett Supersluice Pan
14" Garrett Classifier
Gerber NATO folding spade/shovel
2 buckets
Boots

So, as you may assume, I am pretty compulsive. And I definitely found bedrock in my wallet. At least I went with a little bit of everything you all had suggested! Haha, thanks again everyone. And thank you Brian for your lessons and setting me up to get on my feet. Looking forward to our next outing.

BrettCo

Last edited:

caall99

Aug 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fellow Buck's County resident!

Hey all. Just for comedic purposes, I thought I'd bump this thread quickly to tell you my purchases: yes, that was plural, lol.
Gold Rush Nugget Bucket
Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
15" Garrett Supersluice Pan
14" Garrett Classifier
Gerber NATO folding spade/shovel
2 buckets
Boots

So, as you may assume, I am pretty compulsive. And I definitely found bedrock in my wallet. At least I went with a little bit of everything you all had suggested! Haha, thanks again everyone. And thank you Brian for your lessons and setting me up to get on my feet. Looking forward to our next outing.

BrettCo

BrettCo,

How has your Buck's County panning experience been? Your posts have urged me to start an account here! I am in the Bensalem area. I just got a spiral wheel concentrator, sluice box and some panning equipment but have no idea where to start looking for gold. Perhaps you could private message me and we can tag team some of these local creeks (legally) and share equipment. I am finding it hard to find other gold prospectors in our area, and really don't understand where to do this legally in PA. I was very tempted to do Neshaminy Creek in Tyler State Park, but given that is a state park, i doubt it's legal. I do have a creek near me, I would be happy to invite you to check it out. Looking forward to hearing back!

craig82

Jan 22, 2018
az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm also curious how Brett's prospecting worked out. He's still around would love an update on his lil creek an what he learned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread