Gold panning questions?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you collect the gold in the snifter bottle do you just take it in the bottle to a place and sell it or are there more steps involved? Also, where do you sell it? Do you have to take a certain amount before they'll accept it?

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets start by asking...how much do you have... grams, ounces, pounds? It's hard to answer your question without more information.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the least amount they usually take, and do you give it to them in a vial with water?

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to have something. You have to realize the value of gold. Most probably will not take anything less than a gram or so. They may probably would take a 1/2 ounce. It may vary depending on who you are trying to sell it to. Some independent jewelers that make jewelry may buy them in small quantities. I haven't sold any of my gold but I have less than a gram or two. After I collect my gold, I empty out almost all of the water and I put it and the gold in a small pan and put it on the stove to evaporate the water out and dry the gold. After it's dry I put it in a little glass vile.

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on where and how you sell it and what form it is in. If you are talking about Nuggets/pickers/black sands you can sell them fairly easily on eBay. Most smelters have different assay and pay limits for different quantities of gold. Most is Xray assayed if its under a Troy Ounce quantity. If you are wanting to mine to make money your best bet is to either sell it yourself to people or gather up enough to melt it into bar form to send off to a smelter. For smaller amounts there is a market for black sands concentrates, nuggets and pickers on eBay. The stuff I have found and picked up here and there I keep in Glass specimen vials with all my coins and stuff.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is a jeweler in Knoxville,TN that will melt it down and make a "button" while you watch. this gets all the impurities out and is 99% pure Au.
he pays currant market (-) 10% good luck

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS he uses a copper pan, maybe brass, borax and 2 torches,,be careful trying to do this yourself, could vape into smoke and you have nothing

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After you collect the gold in the snifter bottle do you just take it in the bottle to a
place and sell it or are there more steps involved? Also, where do you sell it? Do you have
to take a certain amount before they'll accept it?

Neo, if you're still following the thread, you might ask a mod
to move it to the Prospectors section.

If you are panning and collect your gold with a snuffer bottle,
you'll need to empty it into a pan and clean the black sand out
of the gold. Carefully dry the gold, then you can weigh it or
move it to a container.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread