Attachments

• Locket.JPG
    Locket.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
??? Not a clue Leon. But sure is one mighty nice find ;D ,Thank's for the pic's-HH-Jarman

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well gold is always marked unless a coin. I think gold plate may sometimes not be marked. Have you carefully looked inside with a loop or mag. for any markings? I'll see if this is in my jewelry research book.

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Hi Leon
Gold plated is almost never marked. Gold filled is useally marked as a percentage ex: 1/120 GF
Solid gold sometimes is not marked or mark has worn away.It may have changed but the Law was if you mark a karat rating you also had to have a mark to ID the maker. Now for that nice locket you have there use a loupe to check for a mark (which you probably aready have) but look real close at the rings for a trace of worn out mark. I can't tell from the pic but is the ring joining the two pieces soldered closed? (or appear to have been at one time) could be solid or filled. Cheap gold plate jewerly omits this step. Next to find out if plated, filled or solid you will have to use a file to cut the surface
(you figure out where to do that) No base metal showing? then it's solid. Take the filings from the cut you just made and test with the gold test kit and you get the karat rating.

Or you could just send it to me and if you get it back it's plated.

Nice find there kepp up the good work!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found that -almost always- if the object is plated, the plating will be peeling off, depending on how long it has been buried, and what kind of soil. One way to test the item without filing it would be to do a specific gravity test-- a triple-beam balance works best for this.

Tie a thread to the end of the balance and tie a fish hook (or similar light-weight hook) to the other end.

Suspent the hook so it is immersed entirely in water, but not touching any part of the container.

Zero your balance with the hook immersed.

Weigh the object on the pan and record the weight (dry weight).

Weigh the object on the hook immersed in the water, so it doesn't touch any part of the container and record the weight (wet weight).

Subtract the wet weight from the dry weight to get the difference.

Divide the difference into the dry weight to get the specific gravity. The specific gravity should be a number between 6 and 15.

If your object is solid gold, it will be heavier than 11.5 (the density of lead) unless it is a really low Karat (like 8kt). A number like 8.5-9.5 will indicate brass, and a number below that will indicate iron (which you could confirm with a magnet).

You can probably find a triple-beam balance on Ebay. And it might be helpful to reseach specific gravity on the web.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thank you all for your replies.
I have checked this with a magenet and it does not stick. I have look very close all over and can't find any markinds. I would be interested in knowing what kind of book you have, Ocean7, and where I could possibly get one. I am new to detecting and am finding out that figuring out what you have found and trying to date it is half of the fun.

Thanks for you tip on the gravity test Lab Rat. I will have to try that. I would hate to file on something like this, as it has almost no wear what so ever.

Again, Thank you all !!!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Testing gold - only true test for gold is with acid."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Edition
Answers to Questions About Old Jewelry
covers 1840-1950
2000 photos
C. Jeanenne Bell
available at Borders etc. $27.99 7/2004

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks Ocean7,
Sounds like an interseting book...

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can't tell if that is flaking off or not from pics. If it is - definitely plated. If not could be solid gold!

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
There is no peeling what so ever... I guess I will have to get a gold testing kit or have it done, if I want to find out. Had some people, who don't know squat about gold, like me, tell me it was brass, but I don't think brass would cleanup & shine like that after being 7" down. I would think brass would have some green on it. It had the hard crusty dirt on it, but it pretty much wiped right off with soap, water, and a very soft toothbrush.

Again, I thank you for your input...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions