GOLD Pocket Watch - My Best find ever - UPDATED PICTURES

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, White's DFX & Garrett ACE 250
;D I can't believe I found this.

I have not done much hunting in the past year or so due to illness (asthma) but went out for a short time with Chris to a local park which we have hunted many times over the past few years but continue to get a decent amount of clad and an occasion silver coin out of and was only out about 30 minutes finding the normal clad when I got a signal which I thought might be a half dollar but was really expecting to see a pocket spill of quarters.

To my surprise about 7 inches down I see the edge of what I thought might be a ring and WOW when I pulled it out I was in shock.

There was a woman watching me from about ten feet away and I was yelling to Chris but he could not hear me. I just stood there waiting for Chris to finish his dig and I yelled again and he came over.

I had put the plug back in and asked him to go over it with his detector and he thought it was a half dollar or possibly a dollar but he was also surprised.

i wiped it clean and was amazed when it opened and the inside was like new with 14k marking and Warranty by US Assay along with a serial number.

after realizing the front cover was missing we went back to the hole and dug a little deaper and found and old can labeled Club Wallbanger but no front cover.

There is an indentation in the can (see picture with arrow pointing) which matches the edge of the watch making us believe it came to rest on the can and never went deeper.

I am attaching a few pictures but may update this with more when I get a chance.

WOW

8) HH - DDos

Attachments

• IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,949
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,951
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,947
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2,950
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,939
  • IMGP0404.jpg
    IMGP0404.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 978
  • IMGP0405.jpg
    IMGP0405.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 964
  • IMGP0406.jpg
    IMGP0406.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 982
  • IMGP0410.jpg
    IMGP0410.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 960
  • IMGP0412.jpg
    IMGP0412.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 961
Upvote 0

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: GOLD Pocket Watch - My Best find ever

Hello, :hello:

What a great find, congratulations.... :headbang: :notworthy: As for getting it repaired its a tuff choice... :icon_scratch: I think you'll find it very hard to sell after you get it repaired. Not many people in the market for a working 14k gold watch at today's prices these day's. :dontknow: You'll have an easier time scraping it but getting it repaired could be a good investment. :icon_thumleft: I'd insure it too if your going to repair and keep it.... I say you have at least a half ounce of solid gold so around $750 in scrap easy likely much more.... :o

Great find, if you had better pics I 'd vote banner !! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2

There shouldn't be any reason you wouldn't get more than spot for a fully restored watch. Depending on what needs to be done, which if it tried to run, probably not much more than a cleaning and a tune up, it should be around $200+ I'm not endorsing these people, but this page should give you an idea:

http://www.lastwindup.com/services/repair_rates.php

And here's a good page of explanations:

http://www.trusted-forwarder.org/elgin/help/watch_repair.html

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AWESOME!!!!!!! watch!! big congrats on that sweet find!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
4dcr

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used

jadeblackhawk said:
There shouldn't be any reason you wouldn't get more than spot for a fully restored watch. Depending on what needs to be done, which if it tried to run, probably not much more than a cleaning and a tune up, it should be around $200+ I'm not endorsing these people, but this page should give you an idea:

http://www.lastwindup.com/services/repair_rates.php

And here's a good page of explanations:

http://www.trusted-forwarder.org/elgin/help/watch_repair.html

These 2 sites have given me an idea of what it will cost.

I am leaning towards repairing the watch and will check local watch repair shops before going to the internet and out of area shops.

It would be awesome to have an old pocket watch to carry around.

Thanks for all the input and I am still looking for more.

if anyone knows of reliable shops you have dealt with please let me know.

Some of you have mentioned you would like to see better pictures and I am working on it and hope to have them soon.

HH
DDos

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WOW!!! :notworthy:

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut

Here's a pic from an Ebay aution for a Club Wallbanger advertisement that they dated to 1973. If the watch was down 7" and the can was under the watch, that seems to argue the area has probably been filled. Great find!

Attachments

• clubwallbanger.jpg
    clubwallbanger.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,142
OP
OP
4dcr

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
I just uploaded some new pictures taken with a better camera for you all to see.

HH
DDos

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Re: GOLD Pocket Watch - My Best find ever - UPDATED PICTURES 5/16

It's a beautiful watch! :thumbsup:

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009

:hello2: :icon_thumright: Beautiful watch !!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it repaired and running again !!!!!!!!! What a great piece to have !!!!!!!! If your want to sell it, let me know.

BANNER FIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
4dcr

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used

KyFreeBird said:
:hello2: :icon_thumright: Beautiful watch !!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it repaired and running again !!!!!!!!! What a great piece to have !!!!!!!! If your want to sell it, let me know.

BANNER FIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have decided to keep it and get it repaired, I just need to wait until more funds are available.

HH
DDos

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is astonishing that a watch that was found 7 inches down survived with the crystal intact and no dirt in the movement...and I speak from experience. I found a sterling silver pocket watch in my first year detecting at about 6 inches...the hinges were fused, the crystal was gone and the movement had all but corroded away.

You best get to the corner store and buy a lottery ticket because you hit the jackpot as far as condition is concerned!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1 said:
It is astonishing that a watch that was found 7 inches down survived with the crystal intact and no dirt in the movement...and I speak from experience. I found a sterling silver pocket watch in my first year detecting at about 6 inches...the hinges were fused, the crystal was gone and the movement had all but corroded away.

You best get to the corner store and buy a lottery ticket because you hit the jackpot as far as condition is concerned!

Agreed. This is a beautiful watch in fantastic condition. The seal must never have been broken, since the movement is so clean. The three watches I've been found have been little more than a tangled mess, with water and silt corroding the entire inside. None were worth saving. Some day I'd love to find a nice one, as they truly were works of art!

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.

Congrats !! Now thats a once in a life time find , a fixable pocket watch !! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
4dcr

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
Does anyone know of a reputable and reasonble watch repair shop in Massachusetts/New England area?

I would like to get an estimate for the repair but don't want to get ripped off.

Silvergold

Greenie
May 25, 2009
Dave, what an awesome find!! Now all I have to do is find something this nice.. My day will come soon enough!!
Great Pics!!! I vote BANNER!!!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

HH Silvergold

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DDos said:
Does anyone know of a reputable and reasonble watch repair shop in Massachusetts/New England area?

I would like to get an estimate for the repair but don't want to get ripped off.

Any watch/clock maker can get that running...it's a very simple movement.

OP
OP
4dcr

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
romeo-1 said:
DDos said:

Can you recommend anyone in Massachusetts?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DDos said:
romeo-1 said:
DDos said:

Can you recommend anyone in Massachusetts?
Yes I can....a guy called Silver Searcher, send it to him :wink: :icon_thumleft:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions