South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Made it out to my new lunch site again. The pocket of good targets is only about 250 sq ft, and then 400 acres of shotgun shells so far. Still haven't found the typical area of buttons and COINS that let me know that I have found the homesite, but some interesting finds today.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501872557.511728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501872573.433800.jpg

Found another old brass padlock with squared mechanism, glass and brass round piece that may be a horse rosette, weird hook thing that must have had a specific use that is a mystery to me and the best one being the small gold pocket watch.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501872953.794992.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501872720.190883.jpg
It has a serial number on this side. It is not flaking plating, appears to be stamped from gold sheet that needs more cleaning. The inner workings rusted away and coated the majority and I have been chipping the rust away exposing more gold surface. Does anyone have insight into this piece? It may be some kind of gold adornment or is this how old gold pocket watches come out? The hole had more targets but major root issues and I was running out of time with my lunch hour. Will go back Monday to look for the watch back and chain.

Oh, the 1964 quarter was in my change at the local taco truck last night! It is in amazing shape for 50 + years in circulation. This is the first silver coin I have found in my change since embarking on this hobby. Silver to wheat ratio FTY, 33:113

Good luck this weekend!

Upvote 13

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep you have a rosette and a reins guide there. The rosette has the wire bracket on the back and the reins guide is the "weird hook thing".

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a blessed man. On the job therapy sessions like this are simply amazing. Love all these beautiful old relics. I will be working the dirt around my warehouse but, my session times are only 30 minutes.:-X

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep you have a rosette and a reins guide there. The rosette has the wire bracket on the back and the reins guide is the "weird hook thing".

Thx Steve. Looks like my homesite hunt has uncovered the carriage house so far. Horse rein guide, padlocks, gas lamp bits, rosette. Not a lot of personal / household items. I wish the old maps were a bit more accurate, but I guess this would take the challenge away... Thx for the ID help!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are a blessed man. On the job therapy sessions like this are simply amazing. Love all these beautiful old relics. I will be working the dirt around my warehouse but, my session times are only 30 minutes.:-X

Thx! I'm always a bit pumped if I come back from lunch with some silver or a relic I consider a keeper, but there are many days I return empty handed. I have an hour give or take for lunch so I tend to focus on the 5 minute drive zone for my hunts. Luckily I'm surrounded by woodlands that were all farms at one point in the past.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Reins guide was on a buggy/wagon and held the reins.

As with most of them, the stud on the bottom is broken, this happens when the buggy hits something, and the guide snaps off. I have several, all are broken or bent from mishaps with the wagon.

Well done again sir!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to your questions about the Gold pocket watch. It's a center section of a pocket watch case for sure, no doubt! I don't want to say it? But it's not solid gold, I'm 99% sure. The reason why I think that is from the look of pendant and bow area. looks pitted where it may have been worn. It's what they call rolled gold. 2 thin layers and a base metal. The base metal is in the middle. It's all rolled together in a sheet with high pressure , then stamped. Still a cool find and has more Gold value than something that is just Plated.

If you want to clean the case faster ......Hit it with real fine steel wool, baking soda, or whatever you have around, even just scrubbing it under water helps remove some of that stuff. if you want it cleaned up. You can't hurt it unless you use something real abrasive. If you wanted to save it. I know this from saving a few that were in safes and had real bad water damage.

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice handful of goodies. Best of luck at your site.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice selection of relics, your onto the older stuff for sure.
But sorry to say on the PW case it's just plated/possibly rolled gold but it doesn't have the look. Plating was thicker when they made the watch cases, and the green is a sign its base metal is brass.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like your padlock. If you can see any detail on the hasp, you should find something like SB and Co. (Slaymaker). Most of the ones that are similar show patent date like 1889-1900ish.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like bonus silver from change or the CS reject bin. You cant be too far off from the homesite, you seem to have nice targets already.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waltham gold watch!!!!! Find the rest would be awesome!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread