Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet.
In Portugal, while it is prohibited without a permit which is very difficult to get, metal detecting is most common in the region of Algarve. Algarve is the southernmost region in Portugal, known for its golf resorts and Atlantic beaches.
The above from a google search.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening from portugal.
I have read a thread about prospecting in a Portuguese beach.
As anyone prospected in Adiça beach?

PrOSPECTING? or metal detecting?
you need a government permit to metal detect any and all beaches in Portugal
I found out the hard way a few yrs back - had my machine taken and was about to be
arrested by shore patrol police and was about to be given a $500 euro fine
luckily my girlfriend is Portuguese and got me out of it --= but they have a copy of my passport
and was told if I get caught again - everything they were going to do - would be done

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet.
In Portugal, while it is prohibited without a permit which is very difficult to get, metal detecting is most common in the region of Algarve. Algarve is the southernmost region in Portugal, known for its golf resorts and Atlantic beaches.
The above from a google search.

I posted at same time as you - ALgarve is where i almost got arrested - I hit one spot and got away with it (not knowing it was illegal)
i was in the water and kept under so no one knew what i was doing went at sunrise next day and a restaraunt owner was up and came over
yelling at me - my GF was in the car napping - and she said he owns the resteraunt and cant get a permit so I cant detect there either
and he was going to call the police - My GF asked an old friend of hers that had a government job and she asked her boss if they knew
anything about this "law" - they said no - her Gf then asked a neighbor of hers that was a city/town police officer if he knew of the "law"
he said he was never told and never had a problem with guys detecting. SO I asked her GF if she could tell of a good beach - she did
and thats where some high ranking water police showed up with 2 shore patrolmen and grabbed me from the water
We traveled up north after that and our rental car was broken into - luckily i took all my equipment to our room but next morning
we had to go down to that towns local police dept. and file a report - when we did - the officer we sat down with ...luckily had
come to USA to do some schooling and could speak English pretty good - so I was able to talk to him with out my GF translating
I told him what happened and asked him if it was illegal to detect their beaches - he said, "no...no problem" and I got happy
...for about a minute. His sergeant was around the corner and was not as well versed in English but heard part of our conversation.
He came over and asked him exactly what we were talking about and he said it was illegal with out a permit and as far as he
knew they had not issued any permits in their district yet but this was some yrs ago.
When i was down in the Algarve - i did run into another treasure hunter that was a local and yes - he had a permit
but he told me he only was permited to hit the beach he was on and 2 other small ones - he had permit #5... I think.
From where we were - we could see a huge beach in the distance - was one of the biggest down south - I asked him
about it and he said the guy with permit #1 was only allowed to hit there and if he got caught ever hitting - he would lose his
I thought that was bull - only one guy allowed per beach
I did get one gold in little time i hunted - unless they change rules/laws - I'll never go back

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :skullflag::occasion14:

OP
OP
T

Tiago

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch... I was thinking of gold prospecting, not metal detecting!

OP
OP
T

Tiago

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, its risky. I have never detected on a beach, but it seems not ok to give it a try. Anyway, I hope that you had a great time here. Algarve has wonderful beaches and lovely people too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread