Gold Queen Elizabeth II pendant; Barber dime; Miscellaneous colonial relics

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out for a little while last week to the colonial site that yielded 9 large coppers last year. (and 2 more so far this year) No coppers for the hunt :-[ but I did manage one colonial button, a couple musket balls, and a 1905 Barber dime, as well as a few other relics. 8) The lock cover that says "patent" on it is an interesting piece. And what colonial relic hunt would be complete without a few suspender buckle pieces. :tongue3: Here's a couple pics of last weeks finds.
last weeks finds.jpg
Last weeks finds 2.jpg

This morning I met my hunting buddy Steve for another hunt. Our plan was to hit an old site we haven't hit before. We didn't do too well here. I have a sneaky suspicion this spot may have been hunted before. It's not too well hidden (pretty close to the road) so this is very possible. I did turn up several spoon pieces and a few lantern pieces as is typical with sites like these......but the finds were few and far between. The best find from this site was a button with a star on the front. It's a two piece button with a backmark that appears to say Kendrick Co. Extra.
button 1.jpg
button 2.jpg
After hunting this site for a while we changed locations and hunted another old homesite that is still in use. I found a broken pocket watch, a few spoon pieces, and two wheat pennies here before I made my best find of the day. A small gold pendant that says "Queen Elizabeth The Second" on both sides. I actually thought for a quick second that I found a gold coin but no such luck. :-\ Still an interesting find. :icon_sunny: It's small. Only about the size of a half dime. I don't think its too old because it wasn't very deep (only about 1 inch). Here's a couple pictures of todays finds. Thanks for looking. By the way. I have to thank Steve for taking the pictures today. I'm in between cameras now. My old one broke a couple weeks ago.
todays finds.jpg
button and Q E II gold.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. My goal today was a large copper and unfortunately I came up short of my goal. But I had fun..... and ultimately, thats what the hobby is all about. :thumbsup: It was a nice day of hunting in upstate New York. :icon_sunny:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Good pictures Steve and nice finds Evo. :icon_sunny: That barber looks good as does the button. Good to see you are back at it....have you been out much?

Bob

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Rob,

Looks like you were real busy digging. That's a nice mix of relics. I like your barber too!! I'm glad you were able to get out and do some detecting!!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool barber!

I found a Queen Elizabeth 2 pendant just like that about a month ago and yes for a second or two I thought it might be gold.

Good luck,
HH.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Good pictures Steve and nice finds Evo. :icon_sunny: That barber looks good as does the button. Good to see you are back at it....have you been out much?

Bob
I didn't get out much at all over the summer. The spots we were interested in hunting were overgrown. Plus the price of gas hasn't been very conducive to driving an hour each way to hunt.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Rob,

Looks like you were real busy digging. That's a nice mix of relics. I like your barber too!! I'm glad you were able to get out and do some detecting!!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan. I was saying to myself when I saw the silver dime...."This is what Dan sees every time he gets out. :D :o

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
A stellar assortment Evolution ... :thumbsup:

Congratulations on that sweet Barber Dime ...

Continue to Persevere ~ Nick
Thanks Nick. I was saying to Steve at the end of the hunt "I've got just about one of everything you'd expect to find at an old homsite except a coin". Maybe I'll dig one next time out.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Rob, even though no coppas were found, you still excavated some nice Colonial-era relics. That site has yielded you some nice coppas during its time, and I'm sure there will be more found there. :thumbsup:

Kyle

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Rob, even though no coppas were found, you still excavated some nice Colonial-era relics. That site has yielded you some nice coppas during its time, and I'm sure there will be more found there. :thumbsup:

Kyle
I hope so too Kyle. There is still one area of the field that was producing a little before it got planted in the spring. I pulled an 1845 braided hair L.C. and an 1864 two center. I'll try that area again when I can get in there.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool 1830s button :)  Great croatal bell, pendant, silver, and others!  :thumbsup:

-Buckles

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Cool 1830s button :) Great croatal bell, pendant, silver, and others! :thumbsup:

-Buckles
Thanks for the reply Buckles. I was happy with the assortment of relics but as I was saying above the dearth of coins had me scratching my head. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread