Gold Racer - iMask setting

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I was detecting in an area which had fairly mild mineralization (1 bar). I was running a ground balance value of high 70's, low 80's.
Sensitivity of 80.

The area was littered with rocks reading 98-99 on the target ID scale. They were so strong the machine would overload on each one. I think they were Basalt.
I was just passing by the area so I wasn't too concerned about it, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to see if I could tune them out while still getting gold.

All I had with me was a .22 bullet.

I found a quiet patch of ground and balanced the detector using that for reference.

In ALL METAL mode, the hot rocks gave off a very sharp bouncing signal (typical of a hot rock). I could easily pick the .22 bullet out between the hot rocks, either by sound alone or by looking at the target ID #'s. This might not be the case after brain fatigue from sensory overload.

I switched over to DISC MODE 2 (sensitivity 80, iMask 01). It gave great "dig me" sounds on the bullet as well as the hot rocks.
DISC MODE 1 gave tamer, but similar sounds.

Switching back to DISC MODE 2, I increased the iMask setting to 02 , which resulted in a nice signal on bullet and silent everywhere else.

Although I have mastered the machine well enough to be finding gold, there still are some simple settings available to me in order to deal with challenging ground. I'm going to start packing around a test piece of gold again so I can find out how much the iMask setting affects depth.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread