gold refinning aqua regia

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone , I ussually do all my posting in the todays finds section so kind of new to this forum .. I have about 12 ounce of gold to refine and ive been reading about the aqua regia methed which looks like it works well . Can anybody direct me on what to buy as for chemicals . I see once the gold goes through the aqua regia you have to add something to nuetralize th acid and seperate the gold from the aqua regia so what do you use or am I incorrect on that . Can anyone contact with some step by step instruction to help me out . Ive tried to boric acid and baking soda and map torch but its not cutting it I want a easy method for refinning .

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP WELL APPREICATTED

Upvote 0

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Wouldn't it be easier and SAFER to send the gold to a refinery and get 90-95 percent of melt value. Search for midwest refineries and ARA Gold. Those are 2 I know of, there may be others as well.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have 12 ounces of ORE or gold? I suspect you mean rich ore. Like Harry says above, better to just send it away if you have that much. Money well spent. TTC

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aqua Regia is a simple method to get all the gold as well other metals. Although simple, it is not necessarily easy, because it has a lot of inherent risk, especially for a novice to chemistry. Having said that, I was a novice when I learned to use it but I had the advantage of a well seasoned, experienced geologist with chemistry background step me through it and tell me what the dangers were, what to do if something bad did happen, etc. This is something not easily conveyed over the internet in a 'simple how-to'. In the case of making and using aqua regia I don't advise people to try it following 'how-to' instructions on the internet. After having done it myself several times, I have looked at the instructions found on the internet and in many cases they are flawed or leave out important details. Can you find a chemistry teacher, geologist who has done it or some other professional that understands chemistry to assist you in person? If not then you might want to try something like C. M. Hoke's book 'Refining precious metal wastes'. I don't have a link to it but probably someone else in this forum can supply one. But up front you need to be aware that aqua regia will dissolve most all metals, not just gold, as well as any flesh it splashes onto. It is such a strong acid that just the vapors from it can corrode the best stainless almost instantly, and that the red fumes emitted by it are toxic (for a short while until they oxidize and become less toxic). And if you do decide to try this on your own, I advise a big bucket full of water saturated with baking soda (so much baking soda in it that no more will dissolve), in case of a catastrophic spill. Also put your 'experiment' in a larger plastic tub or container in case of a spill that it is still contained. Also, some people may advise using coffee filters to filter it in some of the steps, there are some vacuum filters (buchner filters) that will greatly speed up this process. Now if this all seems a bit scary ... good. Have you considered a very good alternative (that is much safer in my opinion) ... smelting? Even if you end up getting your gold back using aqua regia you still end up having to smelt it down because the end result of the aqua regia process is a very fine powder that is dark reddish brown that looks nothing like gold ... until you smelt it. The only major difference between smelting and aqua regia is that with the aqua regia process you end up with 99.999% pure gold, where smelting you may have a quantity of silver alloyed in with it and then may have to use nitric acid to remove the silver from the gold to get it pure. Well whatever you decide, keep safety in mind, do lots of research from many sources before you try it yourself, and get guidance if you can. I personally do not want to take the responsibility for someone else' safety or life. Maybe someone else will help you out with the specifics. Good luck.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
MarkMopar posted this link, pretty interesting site

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by joesdigs Great info guys... I'll try finding someone that can show me the process and how to carry it out safely.
Check this site out. LOTS of great info:
GOLD REFINING FORUM - GOLD REFINERS HELPING ONE ANOTHER

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and faster!

Mine it and recycle it!

audiver2001

Oct 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
General Refining Corp. as seen on Discovery Bering Sea Gold will refine your metals for a 2% fee plus $100 assay fee, and they pay u for 90% of the silver content...not sure u can even afford to melt into dore' for that amount

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread