Gold related rocks.

pplusent

Aug 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, we have two mining claims for a total of 160acres , more than we can cover in our lifetime. What I am trying to do is narrow down what we are looking for. There are placer deposits through out, but they are at bed rock under about 8 foot of overburden, mostly sand gravel and river rock. We are limited to hand tools so we are looking for possible load deposits. The rock in the area covers a wide gamut of rock types from Basalt outcroppings to almost clear quartz and everything in between. I am posting some of the most common rocks at the mine and need to know which are the best indicators for gold or silver. I am especially interested in the green rock, I've been told it's Yavapi shale, but I don't know, there is a lot of it and it seems to have a sand stone center. Would appreciate the help.??????

DSCF4300.JPG DSCF4305.JPG DSCF4306.JPG DSCF4314.JPG

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Olivine..solid green one (peridotite) Peridot when clear crystals. Nickle, Magneseum..igneous basalt country rock. Looks like some with the white quartz shot through it. Black Tourmaline in Feldspar. Quarts with possible Chrysocolla (Copper) I also see Shist, mafic ultra mafic metamorphic altered sedimentary. Plate tectonics lots of positives for gold.

Eight feet of over burden? In a canyon re sorted aluvium or virgin benches dry placers? Eight feet isn't that deep.

Are you in California or Colorado?

Last edited:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Green is peridotite. A few samples there that look a little different in my area that I'm working. The pegmatite around me has more deeply colored feldspar, same size tourmaline in it. The copper/iron stained rocks could've been picked up off my claims. Some decomposition of iron to limonite it looks like in a few samples. Not seeing any pyrites at all.

This could be anywhere in any number of gold producing areas of Arizona.

My advice, worth as much as you're paying for it, is to start pulling samples to crush and pan out. Map all your samples on google Earth. You might start seeing a trend and be able to work from that. Also, it's going to be hard to pinpoint where you should look at without seeing the country rock and topography.

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
#1 Is quartz, seemingly greenish, which in some instances indicates copper minerals. I'd look into it.
#2 Is pegmatite & Schorl (black tourmaline). I'd look into that, possible candidate for gemstones.
#3 Is possibly epidote and/or skarn. Interesting for some mineralization to.
#4 Hard to tell.

The following #6-10 also show some secondary minerals, and some show rust. I'd look into that, to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread