Gold ring!! Complete with mystery marks...anyone?

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
It rained like crazy today..but I was undeterred. Accordingly, I made a sailing boat with my finds today. Comes with anchor chain, portholes, and 2 flags flying.

The large top flag is an ID tag for a child- he has allergies. I hope he still knows who he is. The dangle (looks like DANGLANGLEY) "Cher" style earring is a different...but it made a nice anchor and chain. $4.35 in clad.

The pendant has a little prayer to give us strength when approached by the groundskeeper.

Have I already said 50 times that this is the coolest hobby ever?

The silver colored ring is stamped "Mexico" on the back. The gold wedding band is very thick. And very heavy. I can't make heads or tails out of the stamps. Help?

Attachments

• 070323.JPG
    070323.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 848
  • 0703223Cher_ear.JPG
    0703223Cher_ear.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 841
  • 070323band_01.JPG
    070323band_01.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 874
  • 070323band_02.jpg
    070323band_02.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 843
  • 070323pendant_f.JPG
    070323pendant_f.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 831
  • 070323pendant_r.JPG
    070323pendant_r.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 837
  • 070323ring_mex-f.JPG
    070323ring_mex-f.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 831
  • 070323ring_mexico.JPG
    070323ring_mexico.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 821
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Dude, SAIL ON!!! Some great looking finds you got there. Love the boat too. ;D
Looking forward to hearing more about the rings.
Congrats.
-MM-

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant help with the ID but that was one nice haul you got there.WTG!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you found "SPOCK'S" ring :) ,can't help with the mark's though....

B

beeping4fun

Way to go Keep the wind at your back and keep digging !!!

Tabfry

Mar 29, 2006
Seattle area
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Yea, it's been raining a bit here in WA. We're supposed to get a bunch tomorrow too. What do you do to keep your MD protected from the rain?

OP
OP
partenr

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Tabfry said:
Yea, it's been raining a bit here in WA. We're supposed to get a bunch tomorrow too. What do you do to keep your MD protected from the rain?
Now why would someone ask me something like that?? Now I'm forced to admit I...errr...shake the excess water off of it once in a while ::)

True story there, but if it's uber raining I will put a large zip-loc over the box.

T

TreasureTales

A motel shower cap makes a good rain bonnet for your detector box.

As for the marks on your ring, they look like hallmarks. IOW, the maker's mark and the code for the city of manufacture perhaps. Looks like a great ring because the cheapies don't hallmark their stuff. Congrats. Nice boat - the USS Constitution no doubt?

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah shucks!!!, I thought he might name the boat the "DANGLE-LANGLEY" LOL!!!....Hey, you did great and the rings are awesome dude!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Nice collection there. The ring looks kinda art deco, or art nouveau? I couldn't make out the marks on it though. Looks like a little bit of damage at the beginning of whatever it says.

artsy-ring-marks.jpg

If your going to keep finding all this good stuff with hallmarks, you might want to get a good magnifying glass, or a jewelers loupe to see what it says.
They have some cheap jewelers loupe's here:
http://www.mysimon.com/9000-11021_8-0.html?sdcq=keyword-jewelry+supply
(If you have a place to hold them steady, you can take pictures through them.)

As for hallmarks, the ones on your items are hard to make out at an angle, but if you can see them, you can find silver hallmarks to match them up with here:
http://www.925-1000.com/

F.

G

garbage digger

Great haul of goodies and ya just gotta love the creativity with the clad boat ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It's hard to tell with the pic. Judging from the color and style, it might even be 18K but without testing it I wouldn't hold myself to it. It also has a bit of a European look to it.

Quoted from: http://www.modernsilver.com/basichallmarks.htm

"Date letters:

Each place of assay has its own cycles of hallmarks which include a letter of the alphabet for each year, beginning with the letter A, and continuing through to Z (sometimes the letter j is omitted, and some cycles end with a letter before Z). The style of the letter and the shape of the reserve or shield background changes with each cycle. A letter can be upper or lower case and of differing type faces, in order to distinguish it from the same letter in an earlier or later cycle."

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
As for the other ring, it appears to be silver and possibly made in Mexico. The following info comes from here:

http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Issue86/86C-silver.htm

The markings inside silver jewelry bedevil the earnest student, as they are often "stamped" in some motif although illegibly so. Many pieces are helpfully labeled "sterling;" others--especially older pieces--dubbed "silver" or "Mexico silver." Often the international system of grading silver, such as 925 or 800 to indicate the degree of purity, has been employed. In addition, some pieces state, "Hecho in Mexico" or "Taxco" (i.e. manufactured in these places). Very often a symbol or initials, or some combination of these elements is also stamped into the metal--rendering it "signed" by the artist or his studio. Many fine pieces however are unmarked altogether or marked in such a way that it is hard to make out what is there.

OP
OP
partenr

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
Thanks for the great feedback. It's all very interesting. The "J" stamp does seem to have a European "feel" to the font, no?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread