🥇 BANNER Gold Ring With Eagle On It

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a great metal detecting adventure yesterday! I found civil war bullets, colonial buckles and buttons but the main find was a gold ring with an eagle on it! I have not been able to find a similar ring anywhere. I believe it is a military ring since it has the eagle with what appears to be an olive branch in his mouth. What I thought were scratches on the back appears to be some sort of makers mark or symbols? If you figure it out let me know! video here

Attachments

• Makers mark on eagle ring.png
    Makers mark on eagle ring.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 762
  • Eagle Ring.png
    Eagle Ring.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • FullSizeRender 22.jpg
    FullSizeRender 22.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 645
  • FullSizeRender 24.jpg
    FullSizeRender 24.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 607
  • FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 626
Upvote 136

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery. Congratulations.

Joe Nevada

Aug 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly Egyptian

Had a great metal detecting adventure yesterday! I found civil war bullets, colonial buckles and buttons but the main find was a gold ring with an eagle on it! I have not been able to find a similar ring anywhere. I believe it is a military ring since it has the eagle with what appears to be an olive branch in his mouth. What I thought were scratches on the back appears to be some sort of makers mark or symbols? If you figure it out let me know! video here

The characters inside the ring certainly appear to be Egyptian. The Standing Hippopotamus is the same hippopotamus that is in the center of the Dendera Zodiac discovered in the Temple of Hathor in Dendera Egypt. This hippopotamus glyph represents for the Pole Star or the cosmic center around which all the Northern stars circle about. As you know, the pole star is that star which navigators used to "stay on course". Therefore this glyph represents "guidance" or "purpose".

The middle symbol is the Egyptian glyph for the Mountain. However it represents something more than just a mountain. It also has cosmic and spiritual significance in that it also pertains to lofty travels, insights and objectives beyond just the physical plane.

The final glyph with the two legs is an Egyptian symbol for "motion", "movement" or "traveling".

Therefore the three glyphs together represent something like "He who travels (or seeks) lofty pursuits by way of higher guidance", or "An Illuminated seeker who stays the course in his pursuit of higher Wisdom", or something similar to this.

Therefore, it appears that the owner of this ring was either a lone pursuer of higher wisdom, or, belonged to a society who pursued such Truths.

If this ring represents Egyptian symbolism, as I feel it does, then the bird on the front can possibly represent the benu bird, or Phoenix; which is constantly being re-born. And this would suggest that the owner of this ring becomes re-born to higher planes of Wisdom as he constantly pursues his spiritual goals.

This is my opinion. You can search the glyphs I mentioned online and make a final determination for yourself.

In the end, it is a beautiful ring and if I found it I certainly would treasure it.

Congratulations,
Joe

Joe Nevada

Aug 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The characters inside the ring certainly appear to be Egyptian. The Standing Hippopotamus is the same hippopotamus that is in the center of the Dendera Zodiac discovered in the Temple of Hathor in Dendera Egypt. This hippopotamus glyph represents for the Pole Star or the cosmic center around which all the Northern stars circle about. As you know, the pole star is that star which navigators used to "stay on course". Therefore this glyph represents "guidance" or "purpose".

The middle symbol is the Egyptian glyph for the Mountain. However it represents something more than just a mountain. It also has cosmic and spiritual significance in that it also pertains to lofty travels, insights and objectives beyond just the physical plane.

The final glyph with the two legs is an Egyptian symbol for "motion", "movement" or "traveling".

Therefore the three glyphs together represent something like "He who travels (or seeks) lofty pursuits by way of higher guidance", or "An Illuminated seeker who stays the course in his pursuit of higher Wisdom", or something similar to this.

Therefore, it appears that the owner of this ring was either a lone pursuer of higher wisdom, or, belonged to a society who pursued such Truths.

If this ring represents Egyptian symbolism, as I feel it does, then the bird on the front can possibly represent the benu bird, or Phoenix; which is constantly being re-born. And this would suggest that the owner of this ring becomes re-born to higher planes of Wisdom as he constantly pursues his spiritual goals.

This is my opinion. You can search the glyphs I mentioned online and make a final determination for yourself.

In the end, it is a beautiful ring and if I found it I certainly would treasure it.

Congratulations,
Joe

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the research Joe!

Congratulations,
Joe

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I must say I really like this ring. I think of yours and Crabstang's rings every time I dig a tab signal. Congrats again

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAMN AWESOME RING . AND THE REST AINT HURTING NONE EITHER...

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find,,
Since the original date of post,, have you gotten a review by a museum curator??
Congrats on a well deserved banner.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on great find!.. I would get it reshaped.. very nice.. :occasion14:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Late to the excitement...but Congratulations!

Beepers

Oct 7, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a piece of a 1700's Squat bottle. My brother found one fully intact. Awesome finds!

Downstream

Jan 12, 2012
Utah
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to look a little further back in time. Romans used very similar symbols on coins and rings all the way back to 1st century AD. It may have been lost in the 16 or 1700's but could have been past down through many generations or have been spoils from a long past plunder. I hope you are able to find an expert who can provide an explanation of at least it's origins. The story of how it came to it's last resting place will probably stay a mystery for our imagination.

98b5a6386fb3e401dedd6fec5b82f8ef.jpg

0f1322b62c070860a7b0c0f3130da82b.jpg

Roman-bloodstone-ring.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread