Gold rings

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went to a used jewelry sale for a fund raiser. Everything was a buck or two, with cheap costume type jewelry. Did come up with five rings that are marked with the gold content. Three are 18kt, one 14kt and one 10kt. IM thinking they are probably plated tho. How can I tell if they are gold or plated with gold? Any help and advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any letters after the gold marks?

GE, HGE, GP, EP, = Gold Electroplate
GF, G.F. = Gold Filled

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All three 18kt, have HGE. The 14kt has GE ESPO, and the 10kt has no other markings. (I think ESPO maybe a manufactures mark)

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the one marked with only the 10kt?

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the one marked with only the 10kt?
There is a good chance its gold.
I would have it tested

Something else to look for is if the gold plate is worn you will see the base metal underneath. Look over the ring and look for grey or silver coming through.

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would a gold test kit help determine if it is gold or gold plated? Or would it only tell me the kt of the plating if it is plated?

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure you scratch deep enough to expose any base metal that may be there. Generally those "hge" rings only have a couple of microns of gold on them.

OP
OP
skeeterd

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help! Anymore advice on what to look for at garage sales and such is welcome.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's plated you can usually scratch it on a piece of porcelain and look at it under a loupe or mag glass and tell. Sounds like only the 10k may be real. The others are plated. HGE, GE, GP, GEP, EP are all used to mark plated gold. Yes, a gold test kit works. I also use a small jewelers file to scratch down on certain pieces.
As far as what to look for, the sky is the limit, since your in Montana! :tongue3: Stick to the better neighborhoods (you have those out there?) lol :laughing7: or look for estate auctions. Buy what you know or what you like or what looks unusual to you. Remember, condition is everything for the most part.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread