NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather has been cold (temps in the 30's and low 40's) and windy (10-30 mph) the past few days here in Wisconsin, and I was a bit cold & discouraged after being skunked the time before (except for a little clad)
but I changed up my strategy- I decided put in more hours swinging the stick and instead of concentrating on just 1 area, I hit several locations in one day, ( a good way to warm up occasionally, traveling from spot to spot)
I fought the cold and won this time, it was all worth it, came away with Gold and silver.
(2 rings and a "picker" gold nugget pin of some kind + 1 wheatie....and almost forgot in the excitement....$2.34 in change (clad))
I kept thinking, well this is the kind of weather the treasure seekers in Nome Alaska deal with a lot.

Gold Nugget pin (marked 18k) nice "picker" size, this might be my new metal detecting, lucky charm on my hat! It could have been a tie pin, or a lapel pin, not sure?
2015-04-05 17.38.24.jpg 2015-04-05 17.38.48.jpg 2015-04-05 17.38.51.jpg

10k Gold ring (maybe emeralds? will have to get that one looked at)
2015-04-05 15.25.11.jpg 2015-04-05 15.26.06.jpg 2015-04-05 15.26.30.jpg

.925 ring has clusters of black and white stones
2015-04-05 14.02.13.jpg .925 ring on 4-5-15.jpg 2015-04-05 15.10.44.jpg

1 Wheatie- reverse looks OK, but the front not so much, I can not make out a date, looks like corrosion has done a job on the obverse.
2015-04-08 12.48.01.jpg 2015-04-08 12.48.23.jpg

(I was thrilled + scored some points too as my wife was thrilled as well because the cluster ring kinda matches a pair of her earrings-I kept kidding her, "see, I took you jewelry shopping" as she couldn't take the weather and spent most the time warm and toasty in the car)
As usual, I removed plenty of sharp objects, rusty nails & aluminum. It always makes me feel good to think that I potentially helped save some barefoot folks some unnecessary pain and maybe saved them a trip to the doctor, by removing those items and leaving my dirt fishing areas cleaner than I found them!

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. Congrats on sticking out the cold weather and harvesting the treasure! GL&HH.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs! Love that gold nugget pin :treasurechest::thumbsup:
And that ring is definitely emeralds, I've a similar one that has just the same look to it.

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other humorous note:
When I discovered the Silver ring, I had been out in the cold for a couple hours and had come across a few pull-tabs, (and like I said had been somewhat skunked on my last couple of outings, so I wasn't expecting anything great)
My eyes were watering a bit from the cold & wind, so when I first glanced in my scoop, I thought I had dug up another pull-tab, but upon a quick investigation, I realized it was silver.
When my wife asked if I found anything at our 1st location, I didn't say anything, and instead just showed her the ring (from a few feet away) she first had a look of disappointment on her face (she knew the last couple outings were not the greatest),
She too thought it was another pull-tab, but then after I asked her to take a closer look, her face lit up with a big smile! We both had a good laugh on that one
2015-04-05 15.12.35.jpg

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver and gold, Sweet day!!

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear on the emeralds! We plan to take the gold ring in to have a jeweler take a peak, I'm curious if there's a way of knowing if the emeralds are real or lab created though? Thanks much!
It's days like this which make metal detecting addictive! I always love finding rings, but that Nugget pin was definitely my favorite of the day, my wife disagrees though, she loves those rings.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I have sold some pickers they usually grade as 22k but maybe that is just because they will resell and they give top$ or they know I wont sell. Because they are going to over sell, or that was a created picker.IMO Anyway you cut it Gold is good.And a happy wife makes for a happy life.Nice rings and nugget.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To: Back-of-the-Boat,
I definitely think the nugget pin is a created picker, the top ridges of the nugget are shiny and polished.
This will always be one of those memorable days sand fishing!
Good luck to everyone out there swinging a stick!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the Gold emerald ring...Very Nice!

Top Member Reactions