Gold,Silver and Iron should I hear and/or see the difference

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
I need some advice as a newbie.

Even though my MD has a meter to show me if the signal I have is gold, silver or some other metal. How reliable is it? Is hearing a more accurate signal than seeing a meter reading? I know aluminum gives out a different signal but does iron vary much from gold and silver, the ferrous and
noble metals?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-RKO

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The meters aren't very accurate I am afraid. They show the conductivity is all so a rusty nail will be more conductive that a gold ring. It is better to listen to the way your detector gives the sounds and compare it to the meter. Depth on meters aren't accurate either but it is better than what we had.

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Sandman said:
The meters aren't very accurate I am afraid. They show the conductivity is all so a rusty nail will be more conductive that a gold ring. It is better to listen to the way your detector gives the sounds and compare it to the meter. Depth on meters aren't accurate either but it is better than what we had.

Thanks for the reply. But would you say that aluminum has a pretty unique signal or am I passing up some good finds by profiling my signals
as aluminum and bypassing them?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aluminum pop tops and aluminum bottle tops can sound excatly like a gold ring or a coin or silver. Gold jewelry is an alloy, of different mixes, so are modern coins, a gold ring can sound like a lot of things, and depth has a lot to do with that too. Dig it all. Often, certain detectors will make a lower tone or middle tone on a gold ring, but it will also do that on other things. Some detectors like Minelabs Excalibur and Soveron, will null on iron, actually the thresh hold sound will go away while over iron. Iron can mask gold, and so can other things like aluminum, copper, coins etc, so dig it all, and check the hole after. Lead sounds like a gold ring too. If you are not digging all nonferrous hits, you are missing gold and silver. Silver will sound like aluminum, or a gold ring. Some detectors have meters, but again, unless the thing is near the surface, and depending on the soil, or salty sand, you should be digging all known nonferrous hits. Meters cant be accurate all the time. Another thing, discriminating will lose you gold. If you notch out trash and other things, usually the first thing you lose is gold jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread