Gold/Silver EFTs - What Are Your Thoughts?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I'm a bit confused.

I have been reading a few blogs/articles on the manipulation of silver, in particular. It sounds like there are two roads and one must decide which he or she will travel.

If I buy into a silver EFT, I stand to make a nice profit if silver prices go through the roof from a reevaluation of the availability of silver. However, because apparently these several bullion banks are exempt from official audits and they've sold almost as much silver equal to the total amount available worldwide , what's to say they default and I never see a dime in return, even from my principle investment?

Q: In investment terms, what mechanisms are in place to protect investors such as myself, and how much should I rely on them? Would those protections go out the window in a worst-case scenario as is being predicted?

On the other hand, if I buy and hold physical silver, I've only just traded a federal reserve note for a piece of metal, that does me no good sitting in a safe in my living room (only trying to think empirical data here, folks.) No good meaning I can't readily redeem a bar of silver for comercial goods or services.
-I'm not sure how to articulate what I'm thinking, so bear with me here -
Even if I have 'x' amount of silver, the silver is still tied to a fiat money system. So I could either trade or redeem my physical silver for more reserve notes or I could barter the silver for goods and services which would be near impossible at best without a global meltdown of any and all forms of structured govenment and a return to despotism.

Maintaining a stock of silver idealogically seems prudent, however realistically it would be money wasted because the silver is just sitting in the safe. Like it or not, I'm forced to use federal reserve notes in daily transactions while providing for my family and to break from that system prematurely would only harm or hinder my personal tranquility and impose undue hardship. If I bought it to resell it, then I have to value my time and efforts in redeeming it for reserve notes against the profit margin - which again, I'm basing on fiat money.

I guess basically I don't want to die in destitution, laughing as I clutch my bars of silver, hollering "I told you so!!!"

My wife always accuses me of being a "Right-fighter", but c'mon!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
If you sell your physical silver you get federal reserve notes, and if you sell your ETF silver shares you get federal reserve notes. No difference between the two there.

I like physical silver myself, because it is in my possession and I like to collect coins (the main reason I got into gold and silver). But if you like to make short term trades in the silver markets, the ETF could be right for you since you can buy and sell it like a stock. I have never owned any ETF shares nor read the prospectus, so I don't know how it works too well.

As far as silver as an investment, it is often said that you might not get rich holding silver and gold, but you maintain your buying power.

I really don't see the whole barter system economy ever happening. In my opinion there will always be some type of "money" used in transactions. If the dollar goes, so will all other fiat currencies because they are fiat too.

Even if a new currency came out someday in the future that was backed by gold or some other type of commodities, it would still be in paper form I believe. I cannot see everyone walking around with gold and silver bullion and coins and spending it. Not enough of the metal to go around with all the millions and millions of people.

Just my humble opinions.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread