Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did mange to get to two sites yesterday. I have been to each in the past. At first, all I was finding was junk, but goodies seem to move in "herds" so to speak, and finally walked up on some keepers. Besides pieces of brass whatzits, the first site produced a fired round ball, a Standing Liberty Quarter, 1926 but well worn and to my surprise a nice red stone and gold ring! Ring seem to turn up in the oddest places for me, mainly lawns, not parks. I cleaned the ring as much as possible, but the shank is well bent, and I may see about straightening it. I think it's pre WWII. The first picture is a colonial button, toasted colonial copper, the two Indian cents and a Lincoln and another cent.

I went to the second site, a place I had detected a long time ago, and expanded the original search area. I've know then people since forever, but you know it goes, we get busy, which is no excuse. From that area I also got some brass whatzits, lots of aluminum, two Indian cents, both wasted and both dated 1893, a Barber half, 1896, it has also seen its best day a long time ago, and the what I think is awesome dual running horse pin made of brass. The pin is still intact on the back, and it could easily be buffed and worn again. I think it's late 19th or early to mid 20th Century. They don't make brass pins that heavy anymore. If you have any ideas let me know. It was right at the edge of a plow zone.

The choicest pieces and surprises of the were a cut piece of an 8 Reale Spanish milled "dollar", from either the reign of Carolus III or Carolus IV. I dropped it and chased it for a few minutes before I was able to find it with the pinpointer. I also found a colonial button. Lotsa fun. View attachment IMG_0816.jpg View attachment IMG_0817.jpg View attachment IMG_0819.jpg View attachment IMG_0820.jpg View attachment IMG_0821.jpg

Upvote 39

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. To bad you didn't have the Equinox yet. Lol.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this site about 30 years ago, very briefly. There was a small bottle dump next to the house. Today after the field detecting I went back to the house area and had remembered a HUGE iron target in the ground. I found it with no trouble. The lid to a late 18th century early 19th century iron kettle. It's still in the car. 30 years and it was right where I left it! Today's tool du jour turned into a shovel.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. That's pretty cool to go back and get it after all this time. I can’t even remember where I parked the car yesterday.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your still on fire, next Monday looks good to shoot for a colonial hunt, nice finds, I love GOLD!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some pics of the rest. We dug near the house a little bit and were extremely careful with the property. It took a long time. These are the pieces I kept from our little holes. View attachment IMG_0827.JPG Large piece of a 19th century redware slip bowl. View attachment IMG_0828.JPG Three intact glass bottles. The one on the left is mold blown, has a totally free form top and the pontil/base has been ground. It's a nice very early bottle, I believe pre Civil War, maybe a tad earlier. This is a colonial site. The taller bottle is a McCormick & Co. Baltimore MD bottle, beginning of the 20th century or end of the 19th. Little bottle is just plain cute and it's 1" tall. Probably for perfume. View attachment IMG_0829.JPG Pewter spoon handle, piece of 19th century blue and grey slipware jar and a handmade cut glass stopper to a decanter, late 18th century into 19th century, furniture hardware and drawer pull, Victorian period. View attachment IMG_0830.JPG Two more colonial broken buttons, one is silver plated over brass. At first I thought it was junk. This is a great site. Lots of potential but a ton of work. View attachment IMG_0831.jpg I haven't got 3 bottles in a day in over 30 years.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't tell from this terrible photo, but the octagon shaped bottle on the left is 1840-1860 vintage. I had a time trying to date it, but finally was successful. This is the 2nd oldest bottle I ever found. The oldest from 1780 in a Rev War camp.

No rampage today, unfortunately. At my house we had about 18" of snow. I hate snow.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done, as usual. That cut Spanish silver is really nice, as is the gold ring.

Congrats on another nice hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread