Gold & Silver Prospecting In Mexico

sherwood

Greenie
Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gold & Silver Prospecting In Mexico

Hi, I live here in Mexico, but the link did not come through.

I am interested in knowing what it talks about,

if you have any questions I may be of service,

I work as a tour guide and can give you any details you may need about Mexico,

as a general rule when visitng any foreign country you need a trusted guide to show you around,

the customs, culture, attitudes, best places to lodge, etc.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospecting in Mexico is a "high risk-high reward deal" for the small guy. There is alot of gold in the deserts of Mexico, much like the Ca/Arizona deserts 100plus years ago. BUT...Plan on dealing with; Federale road check points(if they see prospecting equip. in the truck, you'd better have the right answer or plan on loosing everything incl. the vehicle, paying a fine and spending the night in the carcel). ( 2) The ejido, delagado or locals becoming suspicous of your activities( refer back to fines, jail and having all your stuff sacked)and worst of all... (3) Your prospecting an arroyo or mesa and stumble across narco trafficos, banditos or coyotes doing their business, in which case a bullet and shallow grave will be upon you in short order. I've been off-roading and fishing Mexico for many years and more recently have been doing some prospecting down there as well(" the results have been very encouraging to say the least") Getting to know the area and some of the people first where you would like to prospect takes alot of the risk out of it. Having a minimal amount of prospecting gear in your truck is best and a ready supply of good answers if asked "what is this senor?" Ah yes!" I use that(bucket screen) to catch sand crabs for fishing." You get the idea......Rob

Jan 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sensationalist to say the least, you will not lose your equipment. Yes, befriending the locals is a good idea, because you can obtain permission, even verbal, to prospect. Unlike the USA, a verbal contract is just as binding as a written one here. You will not meet any narcos here unless you're on their well-known travel paths or on the border at their crossing points. There are old roads all over Mexico that are on the books. By law, these 200 and 300 year old roads have to be free from obstruction for at least foot or horseback travel. You may travel these federally recognized paths on private property but you may not camp or prospect on or near them. Common sense is the name of the game here. My wife's uncle found a pot of gold and silver on his ranch, on the site of one of these roads, using a metal detector. Travelers would leave their money buried along these roads to protect from theft and robbery, and would never return. Gotta go... will make another comment later

Prospecting in Mexico is a "high risk-high reward deal" for the small guy. There is alot of gold in the deserts of Mexico, much like the Ca/Arizona deserts 100plus years ago. BUT...Plan on dealing with; Federale road check points(if they see prospecting equip. in the truck, you'd better have the right answer or plan on loosing everything incl. the vehicle, paying a fine and spending the night in the carcel). ( 2) The ejido, delagado or locals becoming suspicous of your activities( refer back to fines, jail and having all your stuff sacked)and worst of all... (3) Your prospecting an arroyo or mesa and stumble across narco trafficos, banditos or coyotes doing their business, in which case a bullet and shallow grave will be upon you in short order. I've been off-roading and fishing Mexico for many years and more recently have been doing some prospecting down there as well(" the results have been very encouraging to say the least") Getting to know the area and some of the people first where you would like to prospect takes alot of the risk out of it. Having a minimal amount of prospecting gear in your truck is best and a ready supply of good answers if asked "what is this senor?" Ah yes!" I use that(bucket screen) to catch sand crabs for fishing." You get the idea......Rob

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I was stopped and searched by the army they only wanted some ice cold sodas from my cooler. They also wanted to know if I had "Ray Ban" glasses lol. I told them I wore contact lenses and they were amazed! I also told them I was a student and visiting to climb a volcano, making a presentation for my Spanish class. I commented that weapons were nice and hecho in Los Estados.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Common sense is the name of the game here.

Welcome to TNet Ex-Federale Prospector! :thumbsup: Your experience will be appreciated. I hope you find time to post some of your prospecting experiences.

Maybe you could export some of that "common sense" north of the border for us? Sure would be a lot more useful than the rumor and innuendo about your beautiful country that is so often taken as truth here.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread