Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Acid & stone for me. Works well.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use nitric acid and various testing needles in different karats. Thou the test kit Max uses is safer and does the other metals. :coffee2:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandman / goldfever

since i am a rookie gold tester..........i just got my kit 10 days ago.

explain the needles and purpose......please

should i get them?

thanks

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electronic, unless you spend mega bucks, is a waste of money. The acid you have to use is only good for a couple of months and then needs replacing. Go with the acid and stone.......less expensive

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max, the needles have a sample of gold on the tip in various Kts. which you draw the line on the stone along side the scratch from your "ring." You then use a line of Nitric acid across both lines to try to match them up with both dissolving at the same time instead of using the different test bottles. I don't think you need the needles too, but might be nice as a back up. However you have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE NITRIC ACID as it can eat your skin.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hope this helps.
Google "gold testing acid".

Using Pre-Mixed Acids with a Test Stone
Rub the jewelry on the test stone using firm strokes (two forward and two back) so that a very noticeable streak of metal is left on the stone
Apply a drop of the pre-mixed acid to the center of the streak:
· If the metal streak noticeably changes color or disappears than the metal is less than the test acid karat.
· If the metal streak changes color only very slightly, then it has the same karat as the test acid.
· If the metal streak does not change at all, than it has a higher karat than the acid.
Example: When using a 14K test acid, a 12K gold streak will exhibit a large, change color change or completely disappear, a 14K gold streak may have a very slight color change, and if the gold is higher than the 14K it will not change at all.

Using Pre-Mixed Acids on Jewelry
Find a place on the piece of jewelry where you can file a small groove without ruining the jewelry - the intent is to penetrate the thin surface layer of plated metal ( if it is plated). Try testing behind a link of a chain if you can - beware that it is not uncommon to use karat gold for clasps on chains that are only plated with gold.
Apply a drop of pre-mixed test acid in the small groove that you filed.
Note the color changes if any ( as above when testing on a stone)

Most jewelry pieces have areas of wear that can be good places to test. Occasionally the wear is sufficient to remove any plating and testing these areas without filing can confirm that the jewelry is a lower karat that the test acid. If you do try this and there is no color change, file a small groove and try again to be sure.

Test Acids Easy-to-use plastic bottles with, color-coded caps. Use with test stones or on a portion of the jewelry that has been sufficiently field to reveal the base metal ( if any ). Pre-mixed test acids are available for 10K, 14K, 18k, 22K gold, platinum and silver.

The test stone can be used to test a streak of metal laid down from the jewelry, or a small groove can be filed on an inconspicuous place of the jewelry and tested.Testing Platinum
Rub the article on the test stone and apply a drop of Platinum. A platinum mark will remain the same white color with no reaction.Testing Silver
Rub the article on the test stone and apply a drop of Silver. The color reaction with the solution will be as follows ( take in to consideration that the background of the test stone is black) ( Remember , most Mexican silver generally contains less than 90% fine silver)
925 Silver - Dark Red
800 Silver - Brown
500 Silver - Green
Note: With the silver solution, it is possible to test directly on the piece being tested, however, the solution will dull the finish on the piece and leave a mark where the acid was placed.
Each bottle contains 1/2 fl. oz
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
Thats the one I use, but I had to request a silver replacement x 2 to get one that worked... The first two the acid was almost a rust color to begin with, so I couldnt tell a difference in color change when used... The last bottle is a nice light red color, and the color change is now recognizable..
I also have an electronic, it works fine, or seems to. But I am not sure how "wet" the papers are supposed to be.. Mine are pretty dry, so my trust in it slipped a bit..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One old guy told me he doesn't test them but if they are yellowish he drops them in a bucket to save them. No worries that way.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
I use the Mizar E???? don't have it on hand right now sorry. I seem to like it,it tests 10k to 18 k white and yellow gold you just put 3 drops of one solution and 1 drop of the other clip the aligator clip to the piece and dip .
HH-drewan

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright:thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions