May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an antiques mall on my way to the thrift store. They had tons of stuff in cases. I saw a collection of watches and asked to see the bin. Most were modern but this Tavannes was in the mix. I immediately saw the very tiny squirrel hallmark on the side of the watch near the crown and knew it was 14 karat gold Swiss! $25 with 10% off. I can't wait to get it home and see if I can get it running again as I love the watch. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452365515.624655.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452365527.798624.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452365540.137798.jpg

Last edited:

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a real beauty! Vintage watches are truly beautiful, elegant, classy. That is a very, very nice one! Congratulations!

RJA

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it open and saw these markings. 14kt Is confirmed and it is 2.7g. Movement seems to be in working order. I gave it a dip in lighter fluid and it seems to run but needs a good cleaning to keep it running consistent. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452372284.602812.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452372297.554824.jpg

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Amazing! Just like anything occasionally gold watches are overlooked or missed. Especially if they don't have the typical gold hallmarks. Is just the watch gold?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score.. I haven't seen a overlooked men's gold case in a while now.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Amazing! Just like anything occasionally gold watches are overlooked or missed. Especially if they don't have the typical gold hallmarks. Is just the watch gold?

The band was gold filled. Thanks for commenting.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found a complete gold watch yet. I found a Rolex crocodile band with a gold clasp once. I found a 14k gold backplate to a wristwatch once. I've found sterling bands, many gold filled ones too, but the elusive solid gold watch has yet to be tagged and bagged.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does dipping it in lighter fluid do for it?

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does dipping it in lighter fluid do for it?

it's a good solvent to get rid of the caked oil. The watch is now running but only when it's upside down. I had it run overnight which it didn't do before I gave it a lighter fluid dip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found a complete gold watch yet. I found a Rolex crocodile band with a gold clasp once. I found a 14k gold backplate to a wristwatch once. I've found sterling bands, many gold filled ones too, but the elusive solid gold watch has yet to be tagged and bagged.

I thought it would never happen for me. I never expected to find it in an antiques mall with experienced staff.

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimDon you have a great eye for gold and silver. Check out this one that I bought a few months ago. It had a junky 5 jewel seiko quartz watch in a super heavy 14k band(hallmarked twice)! Almost everyone thought it was fake! I still didn't get it cheap though lol. I missed out on one that was heavier a couple of years ago when I was a rookie. I thought no way would someone put a cheap watch in a gold band! Live and learn. I'm sure there's more out there!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score. Be careful about talking about gold seiko watches or you will let the cat out of the bag. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread