GoldBug 2 or Whites GMT?

Peejay

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2009
I'm completly new to metal detecting and to be honest have never even held on to one.

We own a block of land in an old gold mining area and a couple of years back an old fellow called in and asked if he could use a metal detector to try to find some gold for his grand daughters wedding ring. He worked away for about 3 hours and came back with half a matchbox full of very small flakey gold. Never saw him again and now understand that he died a few months later.

It got me thinking at the time so I've decided to purchase a metal detector and spend some time on my own block and the large sheep station next door.

I've spent hours going through the forum and seems that most of you guys prefer either a Gold Bug2 or a Whites GMT (Minelab a little expensive for me). What are the best and worst features of each model? and please convince me which would be my best option for quite small nuggets or flakes?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Peejay

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2009
Got_4by4 said:
Our club just recently acquired 3 new claims and I am itching to get out there and refine MY techniques. Since you own your own property, and if you are not too far away, we might get together some time. Just drop me a PM or email.

Happy Hunting,
Steve George

Thanks Steve much appreciated to get good advice Gee, people on this forum give advice so freely it really is appreciated.

I'd love to have you on my property but I reckon it's just a tad to far for you - I live in New Zealand (just across the ditch from Australia!)
but thanks very much for your interest.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Hi Peejay
Interesting that you live in NZ. I am an X Kiwi. Been living in Oz since 1976. However I know a lot of the Central Otago Gold areas intimately and manage to get over there from time to time. I used to have a Gold Bug II, and it was excellent in the mild soil conditions there, however, where I am now it could not produce any depth at all.
I have had several Minelabs and am going back to a MXT which can pretty much be used anywhere and for anything.
Are you by any chance around the C Otago area?

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Sounds like a crook Sensitivity Pot. (potentiometer) Looks like a Whites job. Very unusual.

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Hi there Peejay :hello:, I am cuminn down to Central 23 dec to 9th Jan for some swingin & sluicing. Any chance of us making contact?. I know Central pretty well my self & luv the place. Making plans on movin down there end of next year hopefully. I will be stayn at a mates place in QT. Was down for 8 weeks end of last year & did a bit up the Arrow.

Arrow11.jpg

Arrow9.jpg

Half an Oz

Arrowgold.jpg

Here are some Coromandel species from up my way

specimen2.jpg
speimen1.jpg
speimen4.jpg

specimen3.jpg
speimen4.jpg

specimeninfingers1-1.jpg

Feedercreekgold19th10th.jpg
Feedercreekgold5a.jpg
feedercreekgold.jpg

Good luck & happy golding

Kiwi JW

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peejay said:
Haven't really been into the main gold areas around home yet as I'm only using a set of music type headphones and think I most probably need a decent set before hunting in earnest.

Any recommends on a good set?

I use a set of Nugget Busters with my GMT and they work great!
Frequency response: 200 - 3200 Hz.
Sensitivity: 72 dB @ 1kHz min.
Impedance: 150 ohms nominal.
http://www.detectorpro.com/nuggetbusters.htm

GG~

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Hey Ed T How did you go with your problem??? Didja get it sorted?
The Cat

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Emails sometimes get blocked by spam filters. Just give them a call. Nice folks.

Steve Herschbach

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Guess what... It happened to me with a new 6x10 DD Whites coil. Coil was replaced and all is fine now.

The Cat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
When I got my MXT, I ordered the 6x10 with it. It started playing up after a few minutes but still sort of worked. I just couldn't wind up the gain or SAT without it screaming.
When I tried the standard coil it worked fine.
Anyway it sounds like a bad bunch of coils...
I have been out goldhunting twice now but no gold yet. Plenty of bullets etc.
I have also been doing some coin hunting using the 6x10 and finding a few, but nothing exciting yet. Very happy with the MXT though. Much better, in fact much much much better than the Xterra 70 that I had.

The Cat

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
When I got my MXT, I ordered the 6x10 with it. It started playing up after a few minutes but still sort of worked. I just couldn't wind up the gain or SAT without it screaming.
When I tried the standard coil it worked fine.
Anyway it sounds like a bad bunch of coils...
I have been out goldhunting twice now but no gold yet. Plenty of bullets etc.
I have also been doing some coin hunting using the 6x10 and finding a few, but nothing exciting yet. Very happy with the MXT though. Much better, in fact much much much better than the Xterra 70 that I had.

The Cat

Hey Wildcat....are you still alive out there??

JW :)

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello John... it's been a long time. Often look for your posts but no such luck... hope all is going well for you and the family. Would love to see some of your adventures or gold from the past few years... if you've got some photos!!!!! :)

Jim.
ELECTRONIC PROSPECTOR PARADISE SF (R).JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions