Goldbug2 coil suggestions

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone haven't been on the metal detecting side of the forums for a while.. Just got back into detecting. I have a fisher gold bug 2 and I'm trying to find a good coil that will go deeper than the one I've got. I'm not sure what size I have but when I bought the detector off of a site they gave me an option of getting a big one or a small one and I went with the small one. I tried searching coils for the gb2 but there's so many options that come up I don't know what to get.. I want some kind of DD because the ground is very mineralized where I am. Thanks

Edit: Would a DD coil even work with a gb2 or can you only use the ones that fisher makes specifically for it?

-N8

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate, Pretty sure they are all DD coils on the goldbugs. The vlfs will run noisy on the divide with the iron red ground, hot slate, and volcanic andesites. Save up for a Lab if you can.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nate, Pretty sure they are all DD coils on the goldbugs. The vlfs will run noisy on the divide with the iron red ground, hot slate, and volcanic andesites. Save up for a Lab if you can.

Thanks for the input! I did some research and ended up buying a 10" for the gb2. The one that came with the detector was a 6.5". Planning on getting a lab some day. Ill be saving up gold to get one.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are no DD coils for the Gold Bug 2. There have only ever been three coils, all concentric. The 6.5", 10", and 14" elliptical. The 6.5" never leaves my Gold Bug 2 as it is my small gold sniper. If looking for larger or deeper gold I break out the Gold Bug Pro with a larger coil. But if the Gold Bug 2 is your only detector the 10" is a good option. I do have one for use when I hunt micro-jewelry with the GB2.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got all three and each one shines in particuliar circumstances so I never leave home without all of them AND my Tesoro Lobo Supertraq. John

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, do you have a cable attached to each coil ready to mount on the stem and control box? Or do you have just one cable and just swap the coils?

Thanks John,
Mike

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got my 10" coil in the mail today. Ill be out on an adventure tomorrow to test it out! :) Anyone know how much deeper the 10" will go than the 6.5?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can just buy the lower rod(the end the coil is mounted to) cheap, which makes it a lot easier switching out coils especially in the field.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got my 10" coil in the mail today. Ill be out on an adventure tomorrow to test it out! :) Anyone know how much deeper the 10" will go than the 6.5?[/QUOT
In my experience, just a little but Trinity is probably most qualified to answer this question.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steve, your "How To" articles are really great. I especially liked the one explaining the history of Threshold, Autotune and the VSAT feature.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Are any of the gold bug 2 coils waterproof?______ I would like to work a few small streams
Joe

Update:
I should have read steves link a little closer as it says all gold bug 2 coils are "Waterproof"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread