golden umax how good is it.

dfg4240

Jun 26, 2008
Pittsford,NY
Detector(s) used
whites eagle Spectrum. Mxt, Silver umax, Bandido ll umax, X-terra 70, Xterra-705, fisher F5, fisher CZ-70 pro
(3)Tejons, 3-Cibola, Teknetics T2, minelab Safari. Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-3d. (2)el
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
I know the golden has 4 tones and heard that they were close and hard to tell the difference between them sometimes ,also it is not that deep-thats what I heard, what is the real story?
I know a lot of people who had them in the forum that I thought were pretty good with a detector and they sold the golden some of the best deals in the forum involved the golden. I just bought another Cibola but was thinking of trying the Golden also.
It's true-look at all the Etac detectors that are sold-supposedly the ultimate.
I thought I wanted to work my way up to one but not anymore.

The tone says it all if you can understand it.I have said before the after so many inches they are Guessing using info that was programmed into them.
It could be a tyranosaurus rex with gold fillings under the coil but they are guessing after so many inches. All of these manufacturers are restricted by government regulations and I am sure they are at the limits of those restrictions.

Look at the INDY 500 race.
They are limited to so many cu.inches and no matter how innovative they are they cannot go over the limit
Only the skill of the people building them to get the most out of them within the set limits can come up with the best car and even then most of the top builders are close.
They leave it up to the user of the car-the driver,to get the most out of what they built. Just like us using the detectors.
Some drivers have more skill than other drivers and that comes with practice.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
The tone ID has often mentioned regarding the Golden, but know one ever says anything about the notch mode? The Golden uMax is the only Tesoro that has the notch and also the only one that hunts with a tone ID. You gave a very limited explanation of your detecting preferences so I would not want to make a recommendation to buy the Golden, but I didn't want the notch setting to go unsaid. It's a very important feature on the Golden and it works!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOE points out good point about the notching i've had the golden and probably found more coins with that than any other, i had a older version and depth at best or least in maine soil was right around 7 to 8" and then tones would change on deep targets usually going lower, the notching worked really good put it in narrow notch and just under 9:00 oclock position and most pull tabs were gone and saved the nickels and most of the trash digging went away super totlot machine and park swinger and super light and listen to all the tones, just my 2 cents!

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I have a Golden and a Cortes, both very different detectors. Also have a CZ7aPro and an ID Edge. The Cortes has a little more depth it seems but the Golden is truly a fun machine. The 2 mid tones are easy for me to tell apart. Four tones is the way to go. I would not part with my Golden or the Cortes for that matter. My 3 x 18" Cleansweep coil fits both but I love it on the Golden for gold jewelry in grassy parks and is the best coil for tot lots too.

emubob

Greenie
May 9, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a golden umax and just recently bought a e trac.they both operate mostly on sound.however the golden is lighter,has life time warranty,and you don't feel like you have been ripped off by the price of a e trac.i'm stuck with it.the golden has upped my finds considerably,whereas the e trac,i'm waitng for the coin to drop.the e trac has slow responce to a target like the manufactures,low and very slow.duhhh! blowfly

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, blowfly. :thumbsup:

The Tesoro Golden uMax is an excellent machine and when you've learned to use the notching capability, you will really appreciate it. I have an older Tesoro Bandido II that I'd never get rid of, but if I DID, I'd get a Golden uMax to replace it. I got a DeLeon last year and almost got the Golden instead. The only reason the DeLeon won out is the TID meter. I've gotten a little lazy and wanted a turn on and go machine that had the meter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread