goldmaster 2 longascan, is it a good machine?

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
As old the GoldMaster II is it's still a good nugget detecter, But because gold continues going up the GM II is fetching a higher price so you may end up paying $200-250.00.

If you're on a budget buy a used Whites V/SAT for a few bucks more maybe even pick one up for the same price the GM II are going for, Whites V/Sat has a Self Adjusting Threshold feature.

If you can try and get a used Whites GMT, And again because gold prices are still increasing you may end up paying $450-500 for one but it'll be a much better machine with both visual ID and an iron grunt feature for iron. Plus, In bad ground you can operate with a higher gain smoother stabitily with this newer GMT model over the GM II & V/SAT models.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
Paul (Ca)

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi JJ
I agree with old Cal

i have a GM2, & 3 and found them to be a very good MD, found many of tiny nuggets, however with that being said a lot of my buddies all seem to have a hard time with the ground balance, because of the fine and course knobs on the unit. also they would have a hard time on heavy mineralize ground ( need to turn the gain down ) losing targets, needing to manually ground balance all the time.

The GMT does most of the work for you with preset and the a couple of pumps up and down with the loop your balanced and ready to find nuggets, GMT also works great on heavy mineralize ground. GMT can do the ground balnce for you or you can do it with it in lock and with a simple press of a thumb your balanced agin

if you can i would try to save for a used GMT, just my two cents worth
2cmorau

OP
OP
J

junglejim

Jun 12, 2010
Yow, I can see that a GMT would be the way to go if I can only find one that I can afford. I am a senior that is battling cancer and had a quintuple bypass recently and am hoping to get back to MD'ing in February and have a good location to go to with alot of old tailing piles and old mines but am having to watch my costs as fuel prices are killing me.

Thanks guys

OP
OP
J

junglejim

Jun 12, 2010
One more thing fellas, I will be going in to some Southwestern desert areas, will the GMT be good there? I have heard that some desert areas can have alot of Alkali, will the GMT hunt that area or should I get a MD that has a salt/beach feature as well? If so, what would yall recommend?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread