All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm most impressed with my Vsat, but I haven't tried the others. Excellent depth, very sensitive, and light on the arm makes for a darn good machine you can swing all day long. Should work well outside of trashy areas. Will drive you nuts if there's a lot of trash around, too sensitive.

Does pretty well on batteries, too.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
Hi Sandman,
That's my concern being new to nugget hunting is that the GMT will beep on stuff I can't see. I will be detecting in
Colorado mountains and streams and tailing piles. That's why on prvious post I was wondering about the eureka gold being able to run at 20 khz and passing up some of the gold dust? Or maybe the Lobo might be the answer.
BTW if I get the GMT how do I retrieve the small stuff?
Thanks..John :)

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
The GM11 was the first Goldmaster-noisy, Then the V-sat,GM3,GM4-Manuel ground balance,GMT the latest with auto ground balance.On small gold to small to see easly, I just pan the signal. Check out Steves report over at the Alaska gold forum on his detector report. http://bbboy.netalaskagoldforum-viewthread?... He reports on all the detectors for Alaskan gold.

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
Nitro, having used every model of Goldmaster as they came out, yes, the GMT IS the best of them all. The GMT will find slightly smaller flakes of gold then will the earlier Goldmasters, but more importantly, will help you keep in perfect ground balance, and will do so in the worst of soils.
Jangles, here in the Mojave Desert, in highly mineralized soil, the GMT will find flakes as small as 1/10th grain. If you don't want to find small nuggets, then, as you suggest, use a much less sensitive powerful detector, such as the Lobo Supertraq, or Eureka. But bear in mind that SMALL nuggets are what we professional nugget hunters call our "bread and butter" nuggets, those which constitute MOST of our income from nugget hunting. A while back a friend of mine and I ran a "competition hunt" on a well-worked nugget patch. When either of us encountered a signal, we'd call the other over to investigate, to see if his machine could also hear it. Of the 84 nuggets found with my GMT, his Lobo Supertraq could not sense even one, even when optimally-tuned, and using the same headphones as I. All of those 84 nuggets were too deep, or too small, for the Lobo to sense. Total weight of those nuggets was 121 grains. Yes, the Lobo DID get ONE nugget, which the GMT gave a much stronger signal over. It weighed 11 grains. Frankly, 121 grains is "mo' bettah" then 11 grains. Bad thing is that my pal has subsequently upgraded from his Lobo to a GMT, and now he does as well as I do.
John, the fastest method of tiny nugget recovery is the Jimmy Sierra Nugget Cup. In my latest book "Advanced Nuggetshooting - How to Prospect for Gold with a Metal Detector" I detail the use of the nugget cup. With the use of the nugget cup, often it takes only a few seconds to recover a target. Hope this helps; HH jim

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
:oWow thanks Jim and everyone for all the info. Jim what is this book and where do I get one on how to use the gold cup?
HH John

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey McCulloch! How come you never answered my emails?
RSJ

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sent you a few right after the fires.
Was wondering if I could help you in any way.
RSJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions