Gonna start MD'ing in the river this Summer.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may consider a shorty if you are doing it in the summer.. I'm thinking full coverage may be a little warm?

Or be like Aguachigger.. just go straight up river rat and cut off your jeans! Ha.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
O'Neill wetsuits have always been the most comfortable for me but every body is different. It's Always in your best interest to try them on at the surf shop or sporting goods store before purchasing as each company's wetsuits are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. If it's really hot in the summer where you live, a ShortJohn may be a better choice. A 3\2mm material thickness is a typical summer wetsuit here in SoCal.

Heres a link for an affordable and comfortable wetsuit:
http://www.jackssurfboards.com/wets...=3bafd2a9e246cec54ce3f10662f951b1&fo_s=gplaus

O-NEILL-Hammer-3-2mm-Fullsuit-wetsuits-mens-fullsuits-01.jpg

Best of luck.

Last edited:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dumb question.. do they make wetsuits that have removable arms and legs?

Universal.. cool and warm weather?

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 6'6"/ 225-ish. I picked up a 2XL shorty 3m suit at our local Ocean State Job Lot. Weird name for a store, but everything is a bit cheaper there. An XL would've been too small. It was only $20. Worked great in fresh water, not too bad in salt (CT), but I would go with a full suit if you do a lot of salt unless your water is warm.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal experience, no single wetsuit is going to cover all your needs. When I was in Florida I ended up owning 3 & 5mm in both full suits and shorties, the reason for this is that both water temps and air temps can vary quite a bit and often in different directions at the same time. Nothing worse then being way too hot and/or way too cold. By the way, I bought my first shorty off of TH and then all the others I purchased used off of ebay at a greatly reduced cost with no trouble. However, sizes can vary from one manufacturer to the next so before you buy jump online and examine the sizing charts for each manufacture before you buy. (I always purchased a little on the big size and I always bought full suits that had zippers in the legs/ankles. A pair of booties is also highly recommended.

One thing you can do, go to your nearest dive shop and get fitted, then go looking to save money on ebay on that same style and brand.

PS: It takes a little patience in your shopping but I've never paid more then $40 for a full wetsuit and that one was like brand new off of ebay.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never needed a wet suit in Fla. waters - I own a 2 piece 7mm farmer john for New England waters
it has sleeveless farmer john with padded knees which is good when hitting rocky rivers/streams if your going to get down and use a mask
I don't stand in shallow rivers usually - I kneel in shallows or lay down and always use mask and snorkel
it comes with a long sleeve shorty that can be worn with the farmer john in extreme temps or separate in the spring early summer up here
most times I will just wear a dive jacket over my farmer john - river waters can be cold in the summer months too depending where it is coming from
ive had guys have to get out cause they did not dress properly for river waters - air temps in 80s - but water was fed by bunch of mountain springs and was cold
so if youre going to be in for awhile - make sure you dress for it - you can still get hypothermia in warm air but cold waters
DSC01968.JPG

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you got the time - go to google or other search engine - punch in 2 piece wet suits or dive suits
look around - you can find cheap ones and expensive ones - some times sales or close outs
you can do search - 2 piece wet suit close out or on sale to help
ive bought on line and done fine - they usually all have a sizing chart by your weight and height
if you have a place near you - you can try a few - better yet for you to get ideas
https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/we...S0ejCMfyLZQ2HVL6cogHap72zb5-aIb5_4aAoYd8P8HAQ
if your in cold waters - your gonna need 7mm or 5mm - down south - 5mm or 3mm this all depends on your tolerances
living up here - waters are cold even in the summer - when I go down to Fla. in winter - its like bath water for me when ive been down there with locals that are cold in their winter waters
and they need to wear a suit - I wore a suit down there once when guys down there told me it was cold and I almost died - sun was cooking me in my suit and people thought I was being attacked by a shark cause I was thrashing violently trying to get it off - I was literally cooking in suit - most I wear down there is thin dive jacket or sweat shirt and those are mostly to keep jellyfish off me
https://www.google.com/#q=2+piece+dive+suits
need any help - just ask
don't forget your feet and possibly hands - I wear Kevlar dive gloves usually - rivers hold glass and hooks etc - I always protect my hands
get yourself good pair of dive boots - they come in 3mm - 7mm too

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you got the time - go to google or other search engine - punch in 2 piece wet suits or dive suits
look around - you can find cheap ones and expensive ones - some times sales or close outs
you can do search - 2 piece wet suit close out or on sale to help
ive bought on line and done fine - they usually all have a sizing chart by your weight and height
if you have a place near you - you can try a few - better yet for you to get ideas
https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/we...S0ejCMfyLZQ2HVL6cogHap72zb5-aIb5_4aAoYd8P8HAQ
if your in cold waters - your gonna need 7mm or 5mm - down south - 5mm or 3mm this all depends on your tolerances
living up here - waters are cold even in the summer - when I go down to Fla. in winter - its like bath water for me when ive been down there with locals that are cold in their winter waters
and they need to wear a suit - I wore a suit down there once when guys down there told me it was cold and I almost died - sun was cooking me in my suit and people thought I was being attacked by a shark cause I was thrashing violently trying to get it off - I was literally cooking in suit - most I wear down there is thin dive jacket or sweat shirt and those are mostly to keep jellyfish off me
https://www.google.com/#q=2+piece+dive+suits
need any help - just ask
don't forget your feet and possibly hands - I wear Kevlar dive gloves usually - rivers hold glass and hooks etc - I always protect my hands
get yourself good pair of dive boots - they come in 3mm - 7mm too

Down here in La 60's are cold for us! And every blue moon if we think it "might" freeze no work and no school. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive never needed a wet suit in Fla. waters - I own a 2 piece 7mm farmer john for New England waters
it has sleeveless farmer john with padded knees which is good when hitting rocky rivers/streams if your going to get down and use a mask
I don't stand in shallow rivers usually - I kneel in shallows or lay down and always use mask and snorkel
it comes with a long sleeve shorty that can be worn with the farmer john in extreme temps or separate in the spring early summer up here
most times I will just wear a dive jacket over my farmer john - river waters can be cold in the summer months too depending where it is coming from
ive had guys have to get out cause they did not dress properly for river waters - air temps in 80s - but water was fed by bunch of mountain springs and was cold
so if youre going to be in for awhile - make sure you dress for it - you can still get hypothermia in warm air but cold waters
View attachment 1415719

Great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread