Good article from Keith Richards - and I never was a Beatles fan either

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Keith Richards calls the Beatles' 'Sgt. Pepper's' 'a mishmash of rubbish' | Fox News

Published August 05, 2015FoxNews.com

All of you people who drone on and on about how "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was the most important album of all time? And the Beatles were the best band ever?

You know who you are. Well Keith Richards thinks you're idiots.

“There's not a lot of roots in that music. I think they got carried away," Richards told Esquire magazine, referring to the Fab Four, who the Rolling Stones battled for rock music supremacy in the late 1960s. "You're starting to do 'Sgt. Pepper'. Some people think it's a genius album, but I think it's a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like 'Their Satanic Majesties.' If you can make a load of sh** so can we."

Richards was referring to his band's own album "Their Satanic Majesties Request," which the Stones' have admitted in the past was released as their answer to the Beatles' successful "Sgt. Pepper's," and wasn't very good.

Richards also said the Beatles didn't have what it takes to stay in the rock-and-roll game.

"The Beatles, chicks wore those guys out. They stopped touring in 1966, they were done already," he said. "They were ready to go to India and sh**.”

Richards did have high praise for the figures he considers true rock greats.

"All of these guys that I used to listen to—the amazing thing is that even at my age, I’m living in a place where I know all of my heroes, warts and all, and still love ’em. Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis—man, if that is not Mr. Rock ’n’ Roll, I don’t know who is. Little Richard. I love those cats."

But Richards, 71, says he would have been happy doing anything with a guitar, and just happened to become one of the most famous players in the world.

"To become a musician, that was the dream—just to get into a band. You didn’t care if you were stuck in the back strumming away," he said. "You know, I would have gladly done that. I wouldn’t have minded being a sideman, but things turned out another way. Maybe it was the haircut or something.”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread