Good condition flint arrowhead

will11456

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I have recently inherited my grandfathers collection of things he had found in the fields over the years (he was a farmer). Among many things, this arrowhead caught my particular attention because of how good condition it was in compared to the others. I would really appreciate any information you can give on this artefact.

If it helps, i live in =East Anglia - England. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

Thanks

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size of it would be nice to know. You say you live in England. Was this artifact found in England? It looks very much like many points found all over North America.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

will11456

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for replying,

I measured it: it is 3.5 cm x 3.5cm (1.3 inches x 1.3 inches for you Americans)

Also yes, it was found on our farm in suffolk, whilst ploughing approx 50 years ago.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'd Google search the various styles of points found in the Isle's. It does rule out any periods or attributes to any peoples found here. How it was found is so very typical to the ones we find here. By the way welcome to TN.

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome !!!I am no expert but I did a bit of research for you.I dont know how far from grimes graves in norfolk you are but below are some examples from the flint mines there.estimated 4000 to 2000 b.c.

hope it helps

barbed-tanged-flint-arrowheads.jpg ... images (1).jpg ..and yours.. photo 3.JPG

cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

will11456

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure will, been doing a bit of research anyway- Thankyou

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

will11456

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thankyou bigfoot for your research, im not that far away from you down here in suffolk - oh cool, ill do some research into that time period

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful point. Looks a lot like the ones made by the Rogue River people here is SW Oregon, USA. Besides plowed fields, check along stream banks and in gravel bars. Those are good areas to find points, seems like every high water moves more in to be found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

will11456

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Its interesting how similiar it is to ones in america - considering the people wouldve never have had contact with any of them, and yet the points are crafted very similiarly.

Upvote 0

RestoringYourFinds

Apr 11, 2012
Westchester, NY + FRANCE
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with bigfoot1. If this arrowhead had been found in France, I would tell you it's from the "Chasseen" culture (which is a Neolithic culture) because it is absolutely similar to those made at that time. Chasseen culture dates back to 4200 to 3500 BC. It would go well with bigfoot1's theory. Anyhow, it is absolutely certain this arrowhead is from the Neolithic era, and more precisely from around 4000-3000BC.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread