Good day hunting today

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have only been at this for about 2 weeks so far and usually only go on my lunch breaks to the banks close to my work.

Today was a good day to say the least. I think I spent around $15 in loose coins and $30 in rolls.

Found the following:

1964 (my first 90%!!)
1969 40%
1996 S Proof Deep Cameo. Amazing shape. A couple fingerprint marks is all I can find on it.
3 2003 P Mark
4 2003 D Mark
1 2005 D Mark
1 2005 P Mark

Not sure if the 2003's and 2005's are worth keeping but I read somewhere that anything after 2000 was collector sets only so....

The 40% was loose and the rest were in the rolls.
All coins.JPG Proof.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing that when you guys/gals find proof halfs , If they are silver - you would make that clear , too often there is no mention of this massive difference !

OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing that when you guys/gals find proof halfs , If they are silver - you would make that clear , too often there is no mention of this massive difference !

I'm not really sure how to tell the difference. I don't think any of the proofs I've found are silver ones but I'd love to be sure. I don't want to take the proofs and clank them against another coin to see. Lol

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the surfaces are blazing white , and the rims are also , then It's a good bet you have Silver !! Silver proofs will not show copper on the edge at all ever !

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul on the proof and Ag!

. . . I read somewhere that anything after 2000 was collector sets only . . .

It was 2002 when the half dollar became NIFC (not intended for circulation). Most around here do not hoard them.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really sure how to tell the difference. I don't think any of the proofs I've found are silver ones but I'd love to be sure. I don't want to take the proofs and clank them against another coin to see. Lol

If the surfaces are blazing white , and the rims are also , then It's a good bet you have Silver !! Silver proofs will not show copper on the edge at all ever !

Sometimes clad proofs have a white edge. Sometimes they show copper. Silver proofs always have a white edge (as Argentium says).

If you are going to stick with this hobby, get a gram scale at Harbor Freight for $10 ( https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-gram-digital-scale-60332.html ). 90% silver halves weigh 12.5g; 40% halves are 11.5g; Base Metal havles are 11.3g.

OP
OP
I

infectious208

Aug 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys. I figured that the silver edge and weight was the only way to really tell. The first 68 & 69 I found are fairly worn on the edges and are almost indistinguishable from a regular clad coin just looking at the rim. I will have to look at my proofs when I get home but I'm 99% sure that they are just clad proofs. Still very nice coins to find.

As far as the 2002 or later, I may just toss them back if they aren't worth holding onto.

Happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread