Good Day...Lot of newby ???

747Bubba

Feb 4, 2017
Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had wanted a metal detector since I was a kid...so finally broke down and ordered a Garret AT PRO after a little research. Keep finding lots of junk and still trying to get the hang of it. Is the AT Pro a good beginner detector? I have a family farm in SC that I've hit a couple times and have found mainly bottle caps and unidentifiable stuff. Live close to Tybee Beach and have tried there a couple times. On the Savannah river side finding large amounts of brass debris and a chunk of iron plate that was about 8 inches square and almost two inches thick. On what we call the back river side of Tybee I went out at low tide and my detector was pinging non-stop in the 36-38 range and showing about 6-8 inches in depth. That was about the water level under the sand. Is that typical for the Salt Water to register?

Thanks for any pointers and I think I'm going to enjoy the new hobby. Looking forward to hitting some of the island this spring that are only reachable by boat.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: South Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector.gif
You might consider posting your AT Pro related questions on Forum > Brands > Garrett.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have probably hit the mother load but can't identify it yet. Get through all the trash and more good stuff with come forward. AT Pro is an excellent beginner detector but as with all metal detecting it takes patience to learn your machine. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Nick in CT! :hello:

OP
OP

747Bubba

Feb 4, 2017
Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the warm greetings.
Couple pictures of first finds...at least found something.
Not sure what the black object is, but light for its size and had a big return on the detector. Yet almost seems organic.

IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Mo. Do not know what the dark object is but it looks like you found a military canteen.

Don

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Virginia!

Recoil

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Sweet Home AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!

I gotta say metal detecting results in 90% trash and 10% goodies in MY experience. But it's fun and the thrill of the hunt is where the entertainment is.

Go hunting as often as you can and you'll learn how your machine communicates. The more you dig and locate targets the better you'll be.

And enjoy the hunt!

torreym

Greenie
Feb 12, 2017
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bubba. Not sure what part of the lowcountry you are in. I am in Charleston. I am such a newbie that I havent even decided yet on a metal detector. Still trying to figure that out but if you ever want some company on a hunt, I would love to tag along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread