Good Deal for morgans?

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i have a response to a craigslist ad to buy coins, and after negotiations I'm looking at 50 mixxed date morgons in ok condition for 19$ each, assuming they are real would you buy them? I'm think of re selling them on ebay. . I've sold morgans on ebay for like 32$ +shipping. on average, so after fees its like 28-29$ a morgan...
any thoughts?

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The fake coins on that Chinese website that look very much like starkizzle's "coins" are silver plated copper.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Well you got the answer you were expecting after reading a couple days of discussion here. Sorry it came to it and I don't think there is much of a chance of getting the cash back in any way that is honorable. I'd check with every pawn shop in the area and see if they took in any Morgans in the last month or two. They may have a few leads to give you as they are required to document the coins and hold them for a week before they can ship them out for melting. The police will take a report and move on to more serious crimes...

Maine_Jim

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who on here can say they see something on that coin that gives it away as a fake?? and by using the correct metal, weight and size will be right, and it will ping no doubt!.. we are screw, my real morgan is probably a fake

They all look the same and the fact that there were many rare dates is a dead giveaway. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starkizzle....sorry this happened to you. On a positive note, thanks to this thread I really learned a lot. The 90% silver fakes are just downright depressing.

I think you should follow up on this and maybe call the secret service. He did sell counterfeit money. As for the phone number, he may have used a 'burner' ( as they say in The Wire) or he could have a Google voice number.

I would wait a bit, list a CL ad in a neighboring town, and see what happens.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starkizzle....sorry this happened to you. On a positive note, thanks to this thread I really learned a lot. The 90% silver fakes are just downright depressing.

I think you should follow up on this and maybe call the secret service. He did sell counterfeit money. As for the phone number, he may have used a 'burner' ( as they say in The Wire) or he could have a Google voice number.

I would wait a bit, list a CL ad in a neighboring town, and see what happens.

Best of luck.

my ad is posted a considerable ways away from where he was.. I drove about a hour because the profits would have been good... I am going to contact others that have ads, and see if theyve had similar offers

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are ever buying or selling coins to strangers. Instead of a Wendys, I would tell them to meet you in the lobby of your local police station. This one move could weed out a lot of bad guys. I doubt the seller of these coins would have showed up at the time of the sale.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting