Good Deal

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For $25 each which is less than spot I would recommend buying as many as possible!!! Pics please?!?!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya, great buy! Where did u pick them up?

OP
OP
G

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
I picked them up off of craigslist. He posted them in the barter section, i emailed him and offered $50 for both and was pleased with that offer. They both came in boxes with CoA.

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
gwakeley said:
I picked them up off of craigslist. He posted them in the barter section, i emailed him and offered $50 for both and was pleased with that offer. They both came in boxes with CoA.

Got any pictures?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have bought them too. :occasion14: Now all you have to do is soak them in acetone (not fingernail polish remover) to get rid of the paint. :sad1: I would anyway. The paint is crap and offers no extra value, it actually decreases it somewhat. Depending which version you have it could actually just be a plastic decal on it, making removal that much easier. Just make sure your not near any flames or lit cigarettes. I have removed the coloring on several types of colorized coins and ASE's and haven't damaged any of them doing it. Use a cotton swab or ball to gently rub off any problem spots.

OP
OP
G

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
Here are the pictures.
How long do you think i should soak them digg?
photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say keep the paint if you want to sell it someday. If not, remove it. The paint could make the ASE go a few dollars higher on eBay.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say keep the paint if you want to sell it someday. If not, remove it. The paint could make the ASE go a few dollars higher on eBay.
There is some truth to that. As P.T. Barnum once said- "There is a sucker born every minute".

As for how long to soak, it differs. Depending on the paint it could take a couple weeks, but usually not. The ones with the decals will be very quick to notice. Put one in a small lidded (acetone will evaporate) jar cover it with about an inch of acetone let it soak a few hours and take a look. It should be softened up enough to do an initial wipe down. Then let it soak overnight to get the deep crevices cleaned out if need be. You can't hurt it anymore than it already is since it is not gradeable anyway. The paint is considered "pmd" or post mint damage, whether you remove it or keep it on there.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While its no doubt true that someone might be willing to pay more with the paint on it, I couldn't get it soaking fast enough. Good buy, I would have grabbed them also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread