sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all. I have a Craigslist post about detecting private property. Just explains who I am and what I do and asks to call me if you'd be interested in hunting your property with me! I know, I know...it might sound far fetched, but it's worked!

Anyways, I got a message last night from a guy who was playing softball the other day at a local ball field and happened to lose his one and only car key! Him and his friends and fam looked for days and had no luck. Finally he thought of a metal detector and found my post. So last night I told him I could meet him early today. We met and he said he played second base and I told him to go get some coffee or whatever and I'd call when I found it....

Second or third signal into the hunt, GOLD ring!! (Ok so I was planning on digging a few targets in between finding his key....so what!) lol. I find some clad and a few pull tabs and about 30 minutes into it, I find the key he described!! I felt so good, and he was SOO happy!! Gave me $20 and said he'd keep my number and call me if he had any place else for me to hunt!

I hunted a little more and pulled a little more clad...and then came another ring!! Silver...marked "sterling" and had turquoise in center. Looks old. A little bent, but I'm stoked!!!

Ended the morning by shooting out to the local hotspot to put a quick hunt in with SJValleyhunter. He did a lot better than me. Got a few silvers ;)

Happy hunting everyone! Take care.

Sgt

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486860907.723842.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486860935.788181.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486860959.314401.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486860978.442093.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486860998.431743.jpg

Upvote 22

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done and congrats on the gold. Be careful...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good all around, buddy gets his key, you get a reward of 20, which I might say is fair, who could ask for more.
And a BONUS GOLD...YEAH BABY.
That is cool and what makes this such an amazing hobby.
Good job.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good all around, buddy gets his key, you get a reward of 20, which I might say is fair, who could ask for more.
And a BONUS GOLD...YEAH BABY.
That is cool and what makes this such an amazing hobby.
Good job.

Yeah it was all around a good day. For everyone! I tried hard not to take his $20. But I reasoned with myself and took it to put it towards my gas to get out there. I figured finding a gold and silver ring was payment enough. I've detected the park before and didn't find anything good. And it's kinda in the hood. So I wouldn't have been out there if he hadn't called me! Good day for sure!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sgtled...congrats on the finds...gold, silver and a crisp 20! And kudos on the Craigslist idea...I've often thought of something similar and that gets the gears turning. I was in a SLUMP last summer and had the wife put a post out on her FB...asking (begging) for older sites to metal detect...I got one reply..."Cmon out!" they said...they PM the address, we go out and they said "go on over by that shed, we just pushed a metal building down last year and dozed it under, there should be plenty metal!"...uhhh mmmm...ok. They were right...PLENTY!! Ugh...o well, maybe next time lol...great post SGT...thx for sharing...ddf

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sgtled...congrats on the finds...gold, silver and a crisp 20! And kudos on the Craigslist idea...I've often thought of something similar and that gets the gears turning. I was in a SLUMP last summer and had the wife put a post out on her FB...asking (begging) for older sites to metal detect...I got one reply..."Cmon out!" they said...they PM the address, we go out and they said "go on over by that shed, we just pushed a metal building down last year and dozed it under, there should be plenty metal!"...uhhh mmmm...ok. They were right...PLENTY!! Ugh...o well, maybe next time lol...great post SGT...thx for sharing...ddf

Hahahaha, that's terrible! Yeah I think some folks think we do this to collect scrap metal. Nope. I have a job, but thank you very much! ;) hahaha. That's too funny! I bet that place blew your ears out! That's nice they called ya out anyways.

And yes it was a good idea. I don't get a lot of hits. And sometimes they are people with brand new track homes and freshly filled/graded dirt lots...."No thanks!" Lol. Eh, it is what it is. I'm not a fan of knocking on doors and asking folks if I can dig up their front yard for treasure! Haha, I feel that's kinda rude. This way it's non confrontational....just don't get as many permissions as the door-knockers. The plus to knocking is: people get scared and intimidated and just say, "ummm, sure I guess..."

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's posts like these that help to make Tnet GREAT!! :notworthy:

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job...good post. Banner day!
I thought about offering my MD services to any "friends" on social media who lose, or have lost something meaningful to them, certainly free of charge...saying nothing about finding treasure for myself, in hopes a conversation could be started down the road. Nobody around this area metal detects, people are clueless, and I feel you need to ease them into it. Offer a free service and that might be enough to get people thinking on their own.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I call a Great day!! Gold, silver, cash and a Awesome save. Congrats!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The RMI in your ring is for Romel manufacturing Inc. of New Baltimore MI for your info.It's nice and the old turquoise ring is fantastic.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to three parks over there yesterday just clad and rain.LOL And my verizon GPS sent me to 3 parks that no longer exist or were never there to begin with.:BangHead:

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job...good post. Banner day!
I thought about offering my MD services to any "friends" on social media who lose, or have lost something meaningful to them, certainly free of charge...saying nothing about finding treasure for myself, in hopes a conversation could be started down the road. Nobody around this area metal detects, people are clueless, and I feel you need to ease them into it. Offer a free service and that might be enough to get people thinking on their own.

Thank you very much! Yeah detecting isn't a huge hobby. Most people don't know much about it and are a bit hesitant to allow you onto their property...from what I've seen anyways. Anything I can do though to get a good permission. My city has TONS of old homes and sites. Just also TONS of crap people :/

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ended the morning by shooting out to the local hotspot to put a quick hunt in with SJValleyhunter. He did a lot better than me. Got a few silvers ;)

Well I'll give up the silvers any day to find some gold like you have been lately!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and an even better story- nice job on the return!

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions