Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2012
Rocky Point NY
Detector(s) used
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Everybody!!
I'm new to detecting still and i've been researching the different brands for a good beginner metal detector. I ordered a very cheap one called the ''Private Eye'' from treasure hunter. Could you share if it was a good idea going for the cheap one first or should I of bought a more expensive detector. I only ask because with some products if you buy a cheap one, they break to fast and/or they don't work well. Also if its not to much to ask I would like to know some good and more advanced brands for future reference. Thank You :)

Sincerely, diggerDude64

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Hello Everybody!!
I'm new to detecting still and i've been researching the different brands for a good beginner metal detector. I ordered a very cheap one called the ''Private Eye'' from treasure hunter. Could you share if it was a good idea going for the cheap one first or should I of bought a more expensive detector. I only ask because with some products if you buy a cheap one, they break to fast and/or they don't work well. Also if its not to much to ask I would like to know some good and more advanced brands for future reference. Thank You :)

Sincerely, diggerDude64

Hey DiggerDude, I am originally from Port Jefferson Station, NY and have been living in Texas the last 6 years. Anyway on to your question, my opinion on things may be different then others but I would say starting with a lower cost detector at first is not a bad move. Gives you time to decide if you like the hobby and will stick with it before you put up allot of money for something that may end up just sitting in a closet.

Now as far what would be a good buy for future reference that will depend on a few things you will want to consider before making a purchase such as your budget and type of hunting you will be doing such as only land or land and water since you are close to it in Rocky Point. Many detectors like my Garrett Ace 350 will let you do both to an extent such as my detector can only go in the water below the control box unit since it is not completely water proof unlike say the Garrett AT Pro unit which is completely waterproof but of course costs more then the 350 unit. I think you will find that many folks will have different opinions on what they think the best detector to get or move up to so I would just say listen to the many more experienced folks here (I am not one of them) and take all the facts that are important to you in consideration before making a purchase. Also this is a very common question that is asked on the forum so I would do some searches for previous answers to see what you can find.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
D

diggerDude64

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2012
Rocky Point NY
Detector(s) used
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks a lot for your help Mad Joker! :) I'm glad you agree with me on my choice to get a cheaper one because I was a bit nervous about that. As for my other question, your probably right with the idea of getting a waterproof one considering i do live on a island. Thanks again.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum from White Plains, New York. This hobby is much like any other, if you try and be cheap, you'll just end up spending even MORE money in the long run. That is a fact.

Now, here is some opinion. The machine you just bought will find metal, but is a real piece-o-khrap. You can buy an excellent metal detector for around $200.00 including the Tesoro Compadre Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. which retails for about $175.00, and is one of the finest gold jewelry and coin machines on the market today at twice its price.

You also need a GOOD hand digger. Buy a Lesche brand digger one time, and you'll never have it break at the worst possible time or, spend another dime. Get a good set of gloves and kneepads. DO NOT worry about getting a handheld pinpointer if you get the Compadre, you won't need it.

Back to facts. It is up to you to scroll back through old threads here and educate yourself, while asking good questions. You are off to a fantastic start. Good luck, and Big Gold!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Terry, you probably will not be happy with that machine. It will find metal, sure, but is going to be very limited as to depth and the discrim will leave a lot to be desired. It also uses 6 batteries which will add up over time. I'm not sure of your budget, but since you went with a machine that sells new for under 50$ I'm going to assume you're not looking for a high end machine. I would recommend an Ace 150, or a Whites Prism 2, you can pick up either for around 100$ used on ebay occasionally, and new for a bit more. They're both good starter machines, I've owned both and found silver with both. I actually gave my Prism 2 to my girlfriend as her first detector and she's doing really well with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions