Good for 5 cents token, coins and a whatsit

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictured are coins from the last couple hunts. Tonight I found the merc, the wheats, the token and the whatsit at a house site that I pounded last year. I keep going back to it because it is close to home when I need a short hunt. The token is another mystery, I found another token on the same site that was good for 1 loaf and it didn't have much information on it to research either. If you know anything about the token or the whatsit, please let me know :help:. Thanks

100_2786.jpg

100_2785.jpg

100_2784.jpg

100_2787.jpg

100_2788.jpg

Upvote 0

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I was thinking the Schrader has something to do with tires, Like the Schrader valves on a bicycle. Pretty cool.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Old valve stem cover....nice finds !
...I have that same token also.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe if I remember correctly that token is a vintage amusement park token.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
"Numbers tokens" are one of the mysteries that we may never unravel. I wrote up my thoughts on them in an earlier post, maybe in the Tokens & Tags area, but briefly, here they are again. The tokens were used in slot machines, vending machines, or other types of "trade stimulators" placed in pool halls, cigar stores, etc. The number probably indicated a "route operator" who came around periodically to service the machines, collect the money, and fill them with tokens. A customer would put a nickel in the machine, pull the handle, and usually get nothing. If he hit a jackpot, out would come one or more of these tokens. The customer could then use the token to buy candy or 5¢ worth of something else from the business. He might also be able to use the token to play the machine, but the hole in the center might be what the machine used to detect a "slug" and refuse it. Or, he could put the token in his pocket and walk out, the token would then fall through the hole in his pocket onto the ground, and it would sit there for years waiting for metal detectors to be invented.

Tell us more about the bakery token!

John in ID

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevin11 said:
Nice finds.How did you do in Detroit?
Kevin
Hey Kevin, just got one of the IHP's there along with some wheats and relics. The house was built in 1877 but they had tore up a lot of the soil over the years to make way for additions. Hit another spot over there and just got a bunch of wheats in which I gave to the landowner.
idahotokens said:
"Numbers tokens" are one of the mysteries that we may never unravel. I wrote up my thoughts on them in an earlier post, maybe in the Tokens & Tags area, but briefly, here they are again. The tokens were used in slot machines, vending machines, or other types of "trade stimulators" placed in pool halls, cigar stores, etc. The number probably indicated a "route operator" who came around periodically to service the machines, collect the money, and fill them with tokens. A customer would put a nickel in the machine, pull the handle, and usually get nothing. If he hit a jackpot, out would come one or more of these tokens. The customer could then use the token to buy candy or 5¢ worth of something else from the business. He might also be able to use the token to play the machine, but the hole in the center might be what the machine used to detect a "slug" and refuse it. Or, he could put the token in his pocket and walk out, the token would then fall through the hole in his pocket onto the ground, and it would sit there for years waiting for metal detectors to be invented.

Tell us more about the bakery token!

John in ID
Here is a photo of the bakery token in a 2 x 2. The back was blank. Not sure if it says J1, JI or JL. If you have any info, would like to know. Thanks for the info on the other one.

100_2792.jpg

jopher said:
The female end is threaded but a larger diameter than an average valve stem. I do believe though that it has something to do with tires as I have a guage made from the same maker. Does your token have the same exact number on it?
Detectingfreak said:
Man dude!!!! You have been kicking some major butt in the finds department! Nice job! :)
Thanks DF, I haven't hit any real oldies lately but glad to at least keep getting some keepers.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right - the bakery token doesn't have much to go on. You could take a gamble and check 1890-1910 city directories for the area where you found it to see if there was a baker there with those initials. Looks like J I to me.
John in ID

wetrock

Feb 4, 2009
TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garret AT-Pro, GTI 2500 & 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a valve stem cover from 1900-1920's automotive innertube. They are a bit larger than what we use now. Pretty cool find.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
[quote ]

[/]

Same Token....different number....31554

Top Member Reactions