Good Idea..Maybe

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I've read about tone of people that go to banks and request halves (as opposed to ordering boxes). I have never had any luck, but have never took a whole day doing nothing but going bank to bank. I did that today and the results are somewhat unimpressive. After having gone to double digit banks, I yielded only $13 worth of halves. I was quite disappointed as I expected/hoped for more that that to say the least. At least I did get 2 40%ers so that was a great ratio, but thought I would get a lot more to search. How do you all seem to get so much when you do the same thing? Not sure if I'm doing it wrong, going to the wrong banks, or what, but it wasn't worth the time or gas money for this little change. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had very similar luck, seems like my area is heavily hunted. Plus there are coin machines at a lot of the banks so I assume that's where a lot of the half dollars go. And they won't sell bags off of their machines, I've tried. You just have to keep at it, eventually you will get lucky!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
At least you still have halves in your area. They're all but forgotten in our little burb.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rest assured that the experience you had is pretty common ! The way to keep this fun is to check these banks occasionally when they happen to be near where you are running errands. Don't make it the focus or destination quite so much . This is a very random (unpredictable) endeavor , just keep asking here and there . Don't forget to check when you go on road trips too.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand...why don't you just call ahead of time? That is an easy way to save on gas and time. When I did a similar run, I called all the banks ahead of time and found out that only about 20 percent of them had any halves, so I just went to those banks and that was it. It takes time to call, of course, but at least you're not burning fuel.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if there is no coin counter, know that they will hold halves in the vault until they can fill a bag for the courier to haul it out. so "got any rolls in the vault ya wanna get rid of?" may be better than going for a teller's tray :dontknow:

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not coin finding its coin hunting. Keep at it. I have gone months with no silver and then I will have a month that produces well. There is no such thing as a wrong bank. You just have to be there at the right time and get lucky. HH

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yessir, welcome to the club! Rryang, calling ahead is not a sure thing and can hurt you. If you live way out in the boonies or are trying to zero in on a stretch of road to search calling can be a guide but isn't a sure thing. I've called, been told they have halves and get there to find they were "mistaken". On at least one occasion the person who took the phone call sniped the good halves and one of my best producers became an occasional stop once I found out one of the front desk people was scooping the good halves ahead of me. By calling I was tipping him off that tellers had gotten some halves in for him to check. I still go by but I never call since I have to catch any halves as they come in before word spreads.
I have called and been told a branch has two halves, almost skipped the bank and once inside other tellers back from break start pulling out rolls. I've also called one of my frequent pickup banks last week at 5:45 and they told me they didn't have any. I then told them my name and suddenly, "oh yea we've been saving them for you come on in. " Needless to say I spend money every week on candy and snacks for my tellers and even bought my best tellers bottles of wine and liquor as rewards for all that they have done for me.
Most people answering the phone will give a quick no after asking a teller or two. Plus you are going to miss your silver dollars, old currency, little old lady's roll of dimes in line ahead of you etc. etc.
Recently I've been calling and finding many banks have $500 worth. This is the most discouraging. This time of year all banks are getting hit hard but if you enjoy the hunt then you will stay driven. If not just order boxes or buy silver,.. IMHO. It is an unusual hobby in that less is more. Right when I am discouraged and weaning myself off the addiction I hit something exciting and it rekindles the spark.
I am used to spending all day detecting and being happy finding a silver dime so getting a silver half in a day is a big step up lol. When the bank lines are too much I pop the trunk and hit the detecting trail for a walk in nature.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I never call ahead. In my 40 years of roll hunting, I've found that calling ahead gives the tellers time to hide the silver.

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rest assured that the experience you had is pretty common ! The way to keep this fun is to check these banks occasionally when they happen to be near where you are running errands. Don't make it the focus or destination quite so much . This is a very random (unpredictable) endeavor , just keep asking here and there . Don't forget to check when you go on road trips too.

Great advice. Thanks!!

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. Your advice/words of encouragement helps. I don't think I'll call as I've been told not only about the issues discussed above, but also that it is easier to just say no over the phone than actually look. I know it's the same in person, but it seems different to me. Thanks again...Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread