Good luck, bad luck, and some finds

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I've been in a bit of a slump lately, not finding much even when I get the chance to go out. So mother's day I jumped at the chance to detect a farm field.

I arrived around 12:30, and after talking to one of the farm hands, I drove to the farthest field across from the house. About 30 minutes in, I found a horse shoe. Then a couple of iron circles I figure are from horse tack. I was pretty excited, since I figured this was a good indicator there would be other old finds. Unfortunately, about 30 minutes after that, my coil got wobbly. Taking a closer look, I seen the ear had broken on the left side. So I trudged back to my car for my smaller coil. I spent another 2 hours working that small field, and found nothing but some rusty nails and other farm junk. With my big coil broken, I decided to call it a day.

So Monday, since all I have is my stock coil, I decided to go to the park and work some of the trashy areas. And am I glad I did! About 15 minutes after arriving, I got a mixed signal of iron/coin. I figured it was a piece of trash, but I dug it anyway. I pulled some dirt out of the hole and passed a couple of clumps over the coil. I narrowed it down to a smallish clump, and broke it open to see a silver reeded edge. Score! 1917 mercury. Slump broken. I pulled the can piece out of the hole too. :)

Continuing on, I picked up a couple of wheats, a clad, a nickel, etc. There was a fair bit of iron around, so I actually turned on my custom setting with the last two blocks notched out. No more iron. I picked up a signal penny/dime/quarter. This is usually a couple of coins really close to each other, so I made a bigger plug than usual. Flipping it over, the signal was still in the hole. I pulled out a scoop, signal still in the hole. I dumped the scoop of dirt back in to take a bigger scoop, and right on top was "one dime." I did some mental celebratory cartwheels, and wished I had brought my camera. There was a fair bit of dirt stuck on, so I just put it in my pocket. I pulled another wheat out of the hole, then filled it back in.

Total of the day was two silvers, seven wheats, one 1964 nickel, two clad dimes, and eleven zincolns. Also, about fifty pull tabs, a few nails and steel bottle caps. I'm still deciding if it was good luck or bad luck that my coil broke, otherwise I would have been out in the fields instead!

Attachments

• P5090085.JPG
    P5090085.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 173
  • P5090088.JPG
    P5090088.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 172
  • P5090090.JPG
    P5090090.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 171
  • P5090091.JPG
    P5090091.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 166

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice old silver, great hunt, congrats on the barber dime and early merc. Glad to see some some more nice keepers! ffd

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going! I use my smaller coil more than not. It pays off! :icon_thumleft:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a good hunt. :hello2: Congrats on the silver and wheats, Jade. :icon_thumright:

HH

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Jade!, nice keepers out of the park. Nice to know there are still some out there. got some nice looking early silver there, congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Barber, Merc and Wheats!! :icon_thumleft: Love that Silver! Cool relics also

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Thanks all!

To those interested, the wheat dates are: 1924, 1927, 1928d, 1930, 1935d, 1937, and 1940d.

Went to a lake today. Found a dime, and much trash. Oh, well. Tomorrow will be nice too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread