Good newbi detectors?

W

wq2211

Hi guys this is my first time posting here although I've been reading here for a couple weeks. I'm interested in starting the hobby but I am just a kid and strapped for cash so I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I live in central Illinois and I am interested in coin, jewelry and maybe cache hunting. I've been reading rewiews and it seems like I can't get anything very good but I would like to get the best possible. Some detectors like mp3 pro, treasure ace 100, whites classic I are well priced but probably don't perform well. Does anyone have any experience with one of these machines? Also I'm looking at a whites classic ID thats used, anyone have any comments regarding the ID? I would really appreciate it if you guys pointed me into the right direction and I really can't spend over $250. Thanks for the help.

---Will

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wq2211

Also, what do you guys think about the treasure ace 300 and the detectors from radio shack?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
You won't get any replies until you clear out your private message box. Messages are being bounced back to the sender as of saturday 6 november. exanimo, ss

OP
OP
W

wq2211

Oops... Thanks for telling me. Good hunting.

---Will

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I have the Treasure Ace 300, which is the sup'd up version of the 100 and 200. I have found a lot of clad with it, but it just won't go very deep at all. Maybe 4 inches tops and that may be pushing it. I would steer clear from these models because I don't think you will be happy with what you get. Maybe I got a bum model, but it won't see coins in my test garden at six inches.

The new Garrett 150 and 250 are supposed to be really nice machines with lots of bells and whistles and there are reports of it finding coins at 8 inch depths. Not a whole lot of reviews out on it yet because they are so new (released just last month). They are low priced detectors and sound like a great bang for the buck. I think I am going to buy a 250 early next year with my bonus check. They sound like really great deals.

The White's classics are really great machines too. Lots of good reviews on these. Also the new White's Prism's look like great machines, but I hear the Classics are actually better even though they are older.

OP
OP
W

wq2211

Thanks for the reply gribnitz. I pretty sure I am going to get the bounty hunter sharp shooter II. It has quite a few features and I hope it will serve me well.

---Will

silverhunter/dowser

Oct 5, 2004
columbia sc
welcome

welcome wq2211 I to am a newbi and haved been here only couple months. I personly plan on getting the ace 150 myself. It has pretty simple controls for people like us but shoot as hi as you want.kellyco has pretty good deals and combos. HH

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Regardless of the detector you choose, you will have to learn your detector. All lower end detectors have ups and downs and if you decide to stick with it, I assure you, money will be no object. If I had to suggest any one detector for a begginer I would say try a used machine or a new one in the
$2-300 range. Just in case you do not like the hobby. Tesoro has the most comprehensive warranty, Radio Shack/ Bounty Hunter is the most available and usually the most inexpensive. You can find detectors for less, but you get alot less detector. Good luck & HH! Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread