Good omen, bad omen or just plain old ordinary omen?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left this out of my previous TF's post.. On my way to the spot I detected today I stopped at McDonald's for a quick bite & a drink. While walking in the parking lot to go inside I looked down and there laid an unevenly folded $1 bill. I picked it up & walked inside thinking... I wonder if this is a good omen or a bad omen? Turns out in my opinion it was just a plain old ordinary omen:icon_scratch:, I'm sure the gold plated wheat penny pendant is probably worth more than a $1 bill but that $1 bill was more than the 60 cents in mostly very modern clad that I found hunting:tongue3: So here is that $1 bill in all it's glory & still folded just like it was when I found it.
DSC01053.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why should there be any omen attached to finding a dollar bill? Am I missing something here?

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why should there be any omen attached to finding a dollar bill? Am I missing something here?

Well I know some guys who wont touch money in a parking lot when their headed out detecting because they say it is a big jinx! I know others who say it's a good omen if you're headed out & you find coins, money, jewelry or valuables before you even get to the spot you're gonna detect.

So Maybe it should read.... Good omen, jinx or indifferent? To me a bad omen & a jinx is basically the same thing. I picked up the $1 bill & I didn't find much, a lot less than I should have in the amount of time I spent at it IMHO! The $1 bill was almost the highlight & so I feel it sort of jinxed me & I felt like it was a bad omen when I found it. I guess you have no superstitions?:dontknow:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the guy that lost the single sure would agree to the bad omen thing. That single is cursed! Put it back.

I found a clean, crisp single last winter in change from a restaurant. It had a stamped message with web page URL. Something to do with a game called "Where's George". I bit on the scam and logged onto the page then registered the bill serial number to track its adventure. All I got out of it was some junk e-mail. My "George" has not been tracked since I spent it at a McD. <lol>

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the guy that lost the single sure would agree to the bad omen thing. That single is cursed! Put it back.

I found a clean, crisp single last winter in change from a restaurant. It had a stamped message with web page URL. Something to do with a game called "Where's George". I bit on the scam and logged onto the page then registered the bill serial number to track its adventure. All I got out of it was some junk e-mail. My "George" has not been tracked since I spent it at a McD. <lol>

That's a good story, I think that "where's George" thing was quite common because I now remember seeing the same marked bills years ago, maybe even 10 years ago. Forgot all about it till you mentioned it.

Once I found a $1 bill folded up in a strange type of way & it was then kinda balled up too. Turned out there was a piece of crack cocaine inside it. Not a big piece just about the size of a pencil eraser, I dunno anything about crack or cocaine but a friend told me what it was. I guess it's common for crackheads to keep their stash wadded up in old scratch off lottery tix so if they have to toss it it doesn't look like a stash of drugs on the road or wherever. Keeping it wrapped up in money is a sure way to have it disappear in the ghetto so the police don't find it if they have to toss it while running or something.

I've found $2-3 dollars at least 3-4 times & $21 one time in the automatic change return at Kroger's self checkout lanes! Every time I didn't even realize the bills were there till it started spitting my change out & it catches my eye that some bills were already in the slot!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats strange......I found a penny in McD's parking lot this morning, My partner found a 55 quarter and a few wheatie's while i found just one wheatie. And a few bits of whats it's...........Guess I should not have picked up the penny :dontknow:

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats strange......I found a penny in McD's parking lot this morning, My partner found a 55 quarter and a few wheatie's while i found just one wheatie. And a few bits of whats it's...........Guess I should not have picked up the penny :dontknow:

Maybe not? Like I said, to some picking up $ on the way to detect is considered committing detecting suicide.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Since it's still folded just like you found it, open it up and see if a $100 bill is tucked inside! Sorry for lame joke, couldn't help myself! lol Andi

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell, I don't care what it is. If I like it, I'll pick it up. Never anything weird happens one way or the other. I either find something good or I do not. So goes the world. Of course, my rabbits foot also helps!:laughing7:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do me a favor? If anyone you know tells you that they saw a dollar on the ground but didn't pick it up because it was on heads LOL. Please have them contact me. ;)

HH!

panhandler

May 6, 2012
Pace, Florida. in the panhandle
Detector(s) used
whites prism 950
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
luck is where you find it,omens are what you make of them,my mom whould have a cow if i picked up a penny that was face down ..but as i remember i was lucky as a kid (being a kid and lower to the ground) I was allways finding stuff i still got the SEIKO SEAHORSE 25 jewel watch picked it up when i was 5 in a bathroom on TWA flight to hong kong back in 66 self winding still works when i take it out of my loot box

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
luck is where you find it,omens are what you make of them,my mom whould have a cow if i picked up a penny that was face down ..but as i remember i was lucky as a kid (being a kid and lower to the ground) I was allways finding stuff i still got the SEIKO SEAHORSE 25 jewel watch picked it up when i was 5 in a bathroom on TWA flight to hong kong back in 66 self winding still works when i take it out of my loot box
That is a cool story!

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I tell my co workers about this hobby, one commented on digging up pennies. I always say back to the num nut " if you found a hundred dollars on the ground, would you pick it up"? AAA yes... So good on you, 1 dollar = to a hundred squats, bends at the knees.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Add it to your treasure finds for the year. Then at the end of the year take all the clad and bills you've found and go buy some nice Franklin Halves.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those of you who are supersticious should get a different hobby. I mean, you're trying to find things that others have had the bad luck of losing but you're afraid to pick them up?? Quit detecting and leave those items for me! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread