Good or bad pass?

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
For the first time in a real long time there was a lady at an estate sale who had some silver coins by the time I got there. Right there that is a red flag they are overpriced. Anyway she had a bag of 38 40% Kennedy's. I used my phone to look up the current melt and it was $3.17 per. Came out to $120.46. She originally wanted $5 per but she called he friend she was selling them for and she said she would sell them all for $130. I generally don't see many silver coins at sales, but I was just thinking if anyone here would have taken the deal?

The best part of this was an asian lady was talking to her before I got there and she was looking at the coins too. She knew they were overpriced and she passed. I picked up the bag of 38 Kennedy's and told the lady hey look, I want these and I am willing to pay spot, $3.17 per. That is when she called her friend. Anyway the asian lady hears us and pulls a 180 comes up to us and says she wants part of the sale depending on the price her friend gives her. So here I am sitting with this bag of halves in my hand, and I give this lady a look of, "from my cold dead hands". Of course the price was too high and I passed and so did the asian lady.

But to think this lady was going to try and buy some coins after I haggled down the price was priceless. Where do these people come from? It would have been one of those perfect moments in life you would never forget.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have passed myself. I've heard the story many times of "I already had someone offer me such and such for them". The last time that happened to me (a couple months ago) I told the lady that she better call them up and take the deal because no one in their right mind would pay you what you claim you were offered. This was for 49 (not even a complete set) Franklin Mint .925 commemorative silver rounds of some type, loose and not even in mint condition. They weighed 1.5 ounces each and she claimed she had a $2000 offer already. I offered her a respectful $1000 or so I thought, for 68 ounces of silver, lol. Good luck lady! I bet she still has them or ended up selling them for less than my offer.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was 38 90% halves for only $10 over spot id probably do that, but not for 40's.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I passed on some 40% today at $3 because sales tax would put them above spot. I'll pay above spot when a dealer will pay me above spot.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was wondering if you should think different on the price if you were buying them to sell in say twenty years

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was wondering if you should think different on the price if you were buying them to sell in say twenty years

I'll bet I can double $25 a lot quicker than silver will go to $50 an ounce. Hell, I remember in 1979 when the Hunt brothers manipulated prices to well over $40 an ounce. Many got stuck holding the bag then.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have silver if you are looking to buy.....

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet I can double $25 a lot quicker than silver will go to $50 an ounce. Hell, I remember in 1979 when the Hunt brothers manipulated prices to well over $40 an ounce. Many got stuck holding the bag then.

We are going through this right now... Kinda got under water in the shtf stuff. Maybe it will, but I'm quickly learning I can make a lot more off $250 cash then I can a 10oz bar... However I needed some Stern counseling from a couple of my friends! Lol. Even with that said though all of it will never get sold until I die! And the coins are one thing but I probably don't need all of the other stuff. I think the money would be better invested in even putting my kids into sports then letting it sit in the safe deposit box for the next 15 yrs.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice items joe,im hoping silver and gold is not going to be the only thing that has value here in america in twenty years.i remember when my american dollar was worth one and a half of canadas not that long ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread