Good places to start looking for leads, for a noob?

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
Hey guys! Noobie treasure hunter here. I'm very interested in the idea of "cache hunting" And i love reading the stories posted in this forum. I'm in it for the history, the lore, and of course, the loot!

So my question is, well first, is there any recommended reading for someone like me, who doesn't know a damn thing about the topic?

Also, where is a good place to go to pick up on some leads?

I am located in the city of Orange, california (heart of orange county)

I doubt very much there is anything around here to find, if so it's been paved over as of the 1970's with all the recent developments out here. (despite the fact that this is an old town)

Any input is greatly appreciated!

K

Kentucky Kache

Go to your library and find books on the history of your county/town. You'll probably find stories about misers, outlaws, etc., and you'll see pics of old buildings.
You have plenty there to do further research. See what all you can find out about these people and places. Even if the books are called lore, you can still research the stories to see if you can find anything that suggests there's some truth there. Also the census records will show you who had money.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you mention recent developments...keep your eye on new construction, old stuff is often brought to the surface. Look for street tear-outs, side-walk replacements etc. and apply KK's tip of using your local library. Talk to the old folks, it's good conversation and informative, where did they go for picnics, parades, festivals etc. Look on google-maps to get a satellite view, compare with older aerial photo's. A lot passed thru the heart of Orange County, tons of history and plenty to find I am sure.

enjoy the hunt,
cc

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
So you want a treasure read! http://www.gwizit.com/treasure
When it comes up, click on treasure at the top, Then pic your state at the left. You can read it or copy it by state.
Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 326

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a good link...After reading a bit about the state I'm in, I then clicked the KJVB link and enjoyed the arm-wrestling pic...

treasure is where you find it,
cc

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with #2. Local history books have many good leads. Good luck to all of us.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
Calvin.Coin said:
Well, you mention recent developments...keep your eye on new construction, old stuff is often brought to the surface. Look for street tear-outs, side-walk replacements etc. and apply KK's tip of using your local library. Talk to the old folks, it's good conversation and informative, where did they go for picnics, parades, festivals etc. Look on google-maps to get a satellite view, compare with older aerial photo's. A lot passed thru the heart of Orange County, tons of history and plenty to find I am sure.

enjoy the hunt,
cc

When you say street tear outs, ect, do you mean I should look around those construction sites?

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, anytime there is heavy construction there is a chance that things will be brought to the surface that were once unobtainable as the layers of soil get moved about. However, construction sites are notoriously dangerous so be safe and make sure you are allowed...

peace,
cc

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Also helps to think like the person who hid money for a rainy day -- they DID want to FIND it later! So they would've hidden it where they could easily recall the location: inside their house walls, floors, air or heating ducts, attic or basement, inside or next to the barn or other outbuildings, along the fence line close to the posts that support the fence, maybe beside the well or in the case of a housewife, the posts that held up her clotheslines. Or at base of large tree or even within a space that nature had hollowed out in the tree. Sure hope you find caches of cash or other goodies! Let us know! Andi

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
buy a 15 minute topo map from 1940 and look for churches that are no longer there. also old home places that are not there now. i have 2 places that i located that way. one was a small catholic church and now there is no indication of anything being there but we found several good silver coins, and many religious medals. the other place was a home in 1940 and back in 1980 it was all woods, the newer roads had moved from the old road and homes were built on part of the old road.
the old home though did yield one mercury dime and nothing else so far.
have fun with it, tenclaw

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread